Starting to feel at home

Smile Hello from nervous newbie!

I think I've been badly bitten by the genealogy bug and fear there is no hope for me! Sometimes, I wake up in the middle of the night with an idea and just have to research it then and there. Sad, eh?!

Seriously, I had a stroke last year and the neurologist suggested starting a new hobby because it's good for rejoining those missing brain cells again. (Apparently, it's not a good idea to focus on old hobbies because it can be depressing to realise how much you've forgotten or how many skills you have lost.) So I decided to start researching my family tree and I absolutely love it ... totally absorbing and rewarding ... if frustrating at times. I've only been doing it for about four months but I've already learnt (too late) that there is a lot of misinformation out there and not to make so many assumptions which had me racing down lots of the wrong dark alleys.

I'm researching my dad's side of the family first ... the Cornish Gregors. (Sadly, not the rich ones: we are clearly of more peasant stock). Looking forward to meeting you all and picking your brains if that's alright.

Brick wall demolition expert!

We love having our brains picked ................

In the last 12 months I have been confined to home for much of the time, and the great thing with genealogy today is that you can sit at home and search on line whenever you feel like it.

Its like a great detective story, and in common with that, its really important to document where your information is coming from, even if that slows you down a little, because, later on its much harder trying to recall where something came from!

So keep "those little grey cells" in tip top condition!!

A very, very warm welcome to Brit-gen.

"Sad, eh?!" - Family history research should carry a government health warning and I am shortly expecting it to be named as a notifiable disease!

Re. "picking brains", ere long you'll doubtless be amongst those contributing to other "nervous newbies".

regards
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Wilkes_ml

Hi and welcome to our group of addicts! They really should start a Family historian's anomynous with a 10 step plan on how to get away from the PC

I've also been pretty much housebound for the last 2 years, and this hobby is one thing I can keep going back to, and discover new pieces of information for other people more than for my own family!

A very warm welcome to British-Genealogy, Jessie. You will have found out by now that you are not alone in your addiction to this absorbing hobby, and soon you will find that you can get almost as much satisfaction from finding the missing brick in someone else's wall! I look forward to reading your threads on the relevant forum when you are ready - in the mean time make yourself a cuppa and have a good look around
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Starting to feel at home

Thank you all so much for the wonderful welcome. I really appreciate it!

Starting to feel at home

Hi Jessie
    Welcome to Brit-Gen
    Can you gives us any of the Gregor's names so we can help you please?
    Jeff

Starting to feel at home

Hi Jeff!

I know I'm not supposed to post any queries on this section so I'm just working out where to put it! When I find the right place, look out for a thread entitled 'My missing Mary mystery"! It's been driving me mad. Thanks for the offer of help.

Quote Originally Posted by catfordcrooner View Post
    Hi Jessie
    Welcome to Brit-Gen
    Can you gives us any of the Gregor's names so we can help you please?
    Jeff