Famous for offering help & advice

Default Help reading occupation

1867 Marriage Register Entry in London. The first occupation is brewer. The second should hopefully be railway related. Any suggestions? Thanks Mitch

Wilkes_ml

top occupation: Brewer, bottom occupation : stone worker

didn't notice you had already worked out top occupation!

I had a feeling you might say that. And that wasn't the answer I wanted!! The only Mary CARTER I can find with father William, William is a railwayman or porter - and that is before her marriage. I can't see him suddenly changing occupation at 55. So do I follow this potential red herring in the hope that it gives us a further clue or leave it to rest as a relative was forced to do 30 years ago....

Wilkes_ml

It wasn't that unusual for someone to change occupations during their life...I have one who changed from hairdresser to confectioner! In fact, railways probably needed stone workers for building things!

I am now positive I have found the right family even though the Fathers occupation is wrong. Simply because they are at the same address on the 1871 census as the bride gives on the 1867 marriage register! But can anyone tell me these occupations:
    Father looks like Printers Porter and the daughter a domestic but what about the two sons?
    Thanks
    Mitch

Hi
    The first one print (definitely) The second ends in 'rer' I think comparing the funny r with those in the words print and porter but that is as far as I get with it unless 'colourer' is a possibility
    The other one is a complete mystery but possibly ends in er. A quick look and my eyes say it is labourer but not when I start to break down the letters, and what is the very first letter? a J, a T ?

All in all Neil I should keep quiet!

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

To me they look like
    Print coulourer
    and
    Stationer

Dale in New Zealand

Flossy

I'm no expert on this (or anything else really) but I think Dale is right - Print coulorer and Stationer. Check out the t's in the top one - Printer's Porter

Michael Duke

In the first message the bottom occupation could just as easily be Stores Worker

Thank you for the attempts. I had considered Print Colourer myself but wanted your thoughts. And Dale appears you are right at Stationer as the bloke was a stationers assistant 10 years later!
    And Michael - wonderful! I had hoped someone might think it could say store rather than stone and somehow I see a stores worker more akin to a porter than a stone worker!!
    Thanks for all your help. Appreciated.
    Mitch