Thread: Dave Allen

phillol

Default Dave Allen

Hi I am tracing my father records and have found out that he was mention in dispatches.It was placed in the London Gazette on the 11/06/1942 page 2511.My problem is finding out what my dad done to get this Honour,Ive tried printing out from the Gazette,but only got a blank page.Do I have to get in touch with the war office,or is there anyone out there that can give me some advise.My father served in the Royal Navy fron 1919 until Oct 1945.his name is Herbert Allen.Official No K56067.and ended up as Chief Stoker.Thanks from son david Allen

Welcome toBritish-Genealogy Dave

Your father's service records are held by the MOD and are not available online

THIS page at The National Archives site explains what can be found and where and gives links to various sites giving information specific to WW11

There is information specific to the Royal Navy on TNA which you can find by clicking on the red menu button at the top of the page and then clicking on A - Z menu followed by R and in the left column Royal Navy.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

phillol

Hi ya Christina,thank you so much for your quick reply and information,I will go on the site that you have suggested.Thanks again Best wishes Dave.

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

With the LG page, are you printing from the icon at the top of the page? You could also try to save it as a pdf to you computer and then print from that. The thing with MID's is that there is usually no listing which says why, usually a notice is sent with them explaining why. Also looking at the LG here -
    https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...5586/page/2501 , it may have something to do with the King's birthday list?
    Also read here - https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/...rsResearchInfo
    regards
    Robert

phillol

hi ya just like to say thank you for youe info