Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I too wandered along North Hermitage in 1911. I noticed at 'Lyndhurst' a Leonard George Leake age 24 with parents Edward and Elizabeth Kate. Leonard was not a school teacher he was a Railway Clerk. They were also the residents in 1901 when a dau is listed - Ethel an Elementary School Mistress.

However, I found a marriage for Leonard G Leake in the Atcham reg district, from memory late 1911, could be 1912.

Wilkes_ml

yes, I also saw Leonard George LEAKE, so he may be a possible father, even though his occupation was not a teacher...it could be that the parent's said they were teachers for some reason.

I also looked on google maps...dropped my little person on the road and took it for a walk! Most of the houses seem original and the 2 Mona Villas are still there at the beginning of North Hermitage Street.

I think the only way forward is to look at the Electoral registers for 1914-1916 to see if any Hawkes family move into the street. Of course, Beatrice Mary herself won't be listed, as women didn't have the right to vote then. i would also try to get access to the baptism registers for the nearest church, as a baptism can give confirmation (or in my previous case caused more of a puzzle!)

forgot to mention, that just because Leonard George LEAKE married, didn't mean he couldn't have his way with a servant girl...that may give reason to have the child adopted.

Wilkes_ml

Could be just clutching at straws here, but if Leonard George LEAKE was the father, then he died in 1956 and left probate to Violet Emily Oakly spinster...there may be a very small chance that if he was the father, he may have mentioned Leonard Gilbert in his will.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I would remind you all that you are looking at a census return taken on 2 April 1911 some 4 years + 8 months prior to the birth of Leonard Gilbert HAWKES.

Life had changed considerably in that period:

People were more mobile......

4 August 1914 we were at War, young men of the approx age that may have been Leonard's father were called up or fighting overseas.....

There was a POW camp at Oswestry!!

Starting point HAS to be the Electoral Roll for the North Hermitage, noting asll persons registered in the relevant period.

Establishing Leonard's birth mother is a must and up to #23 most information is speculative!

Wilkes_ml

Yes, the above is mainly speculative & conjecture. I also agree that the first place to look would be the Shrewsbury Electoral registers. During the night I had a flash of an idea, but couldn't make myself get up, and it's only just come back to me! What about trade directories for the time in question? Would school teachers be listed, or would it just be the school headmasters/headmistresses?

The ONLY known fact there seems to be is

Leonard Gilbert b Dec 1915 at 2 North Hermtiage Shrewbury

I would like to think his mother is Beatrice Mary HAWKES possibly a school teacher

The rest is hearsay and unsubstantiated.

Trade directories a good idea BUT only of any use if the parents lived in the locality......at the present Beatrice could be from Brierley HiLL father from anywhere!

Back to the electoral rolls.....

custard_pot

Thank you all for your replies. I have been in touch with the lady I am helping and she was going to get in touch with her Great Aunt as I asked her if his parents had any more children. Unfortunately they are sorting his adoptive parents children and not his true parents so I have to get in touch with her again.

I will let you know what I find out and thank you again

UKSKP09

I am Len’s grandson & knew him all my life and we talked quite a bit about him growing up in Cherington so I can offer some further info.

When he was adopted he was known around Cherington as Sonny Harris as a child. He reverted to his birth name of Leonard (Len) Hawkes in adulthood.

His parents were indeed BOTH school teachers at the same school and were married...just NOT to each other hence the big scandal if anyone were to find out.

It was only his mother that came to visit him...never his father. She used to come on a pony & trap once a year and then when he was 14 on her last visit she said “I will not be coming again” and he never saw her again after that.

His father’s name was Hawkes....his mother Beatrice was not a Hawkes

His parents were NOT related and the family that adopted him were not friends of theirs. I think the adoption was arranged through the Church and his birth parents wanted him some distance out of the area to keep their secret, hence a family was found in Warwickshire

I remember lots of conversations over the years about his life so let me know if you have any further questions

He was a lovely man by the way and very intelligent....he always said with a hint of pride and a touch of sadness that it was because his real parents were school teachers!

Hello & Welcome. Thank you for filling us in with your grandfathers life.

custard_pot hasn't been on the forum for a while, however if you click the name a drop down box will appear including one to send them a message.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by custard_pot View Post
    Fathers occupation was teacher
    Quote Originally Posted by custard_pot View Post
    Mother was also believed to be a teacher
    I'm unsure if it has already been mentioned - apologies if it has.
    Back then to become a teacher you could have two or twelve qualifications and still be able to teach in a university (obviously not in Oxbridge). Course now it is a lot more difficult, though I did a PGCE and degree. A lot of dumb people ended up in the teaching profession.....oh woe betide the Victorians

Quote Originally Posted by custard_pot
    born 18th December 1915
    Quote Originally Posted by custard_pot
    Leonard Gilbert was adopted at 6 months old by Henry and Gladys Harris
    Not sure if anybody has spotted it but adoption became legal 12 years (an act in 1927 legalised adoption) after he was born, although you state he was adopted at 6 months old. Either they had some money to spare (doubt it but it's speculation) or there's been some fibbing. Tell the person you seek aid for that she needs to ask family members what they know - sometimes someone knows something others don't.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast