Brick wall demolition expert!

Default Will written 1728 with codecil dated 1708?

I am hoping that someone can clear up the following mystery for me.

William Gambold died in 13 Sept 1728 and in his will he made his wife, Elizabeth, and youngest son, George, the executors.

At the foot of the will, under his signature and in very different handwriting there is a paragraph in Latin as shown below, but dated 1708. Although I don't read Latin, hazarding a guess I thought that this was just noting that probate had been granted to Elizabeth and George, but then I saw the date, and thought is this an error, or something else, because how can something be added 20 years before he died?

Wilkes_ml

I can't read latin, but I have come across a will with a codicil appended that was dated earlier than the will...this was because the codicil actually related to the person's father who had left property/land that had been granted to the son, and codocil stipulated what should happen on the death of his heir(s).

This definitely relates to the will itself because:

3rd line - the name "Guliemus" (or something like that) Gambold - is the Latin equivalent of William Gambold, the testator
    4th line - "Puncheston" - that's the name of the parish in Pembrokeshire where he was cleric

In later lines you can see Elizabeth Gambold (wife) and Georgy Gambold (son George).

Wilkes_ml

Was the will actually written in 1728, or was that just when it was proved? Is it possible that this will relates to a previous generation, someone who actually died sometime after 1708 but prior to 1728, but the will took until 1728 to be proved?

I'm guessing the actual will itself is too long to attach directly, but can you provide a link to the will?

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkes_ml View Post
    I'm guessing the actual will itself is too long to attach directly, but can you provide a link to the will?
    https://cat.llgc.org.uk/cgi-bin/gw/ch...1.220.233%2fen

Hopefully the link will work. Its available on line at the National Library of Wales and it was written in 1728. The paragraph in question can be seen on "Image 2". You can't download wills, but you can read them on line.

Wilkes_ml

Indeed he did write the will on the 12th September 1728, so I haven't a clue why the last piece is dated 1708 unless it was a mistake! Hopefully someone with a bit more experience will come along soon!