Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    DSM GARDINER

Default Arthur Gardiner DSM - HMS Russell 1916 - Help

Hi,
    I am new to this forum, please help if you can. My nan's brother name was Arthur Edward Gardiner, there is a monument in Hockley, Essex with his name - Arthur Edward Gardiner, died WW1 with DSM.
    So, I am trying to find out his history. The family story that has been told to me is that he saved crew members by pushing away a mine, or throwing over an un-exploded bomb????? from the ship that was smoldering and saved many lives and was awarded the DSM. But, unfortunately he was one of the crew members that died.
    So, the only Arthur Edward Gardiner that died in WW1 is Petty Officer Stoker on the HMS Russell 1916 K/2187 that I can find and the German U-boat sunk the boat on the 27th April 1916 I believe.
    If I can find anywhere where it states AEG DSM served on HMS Russell, this is my great uncle.

undefined

Knowledgeable and helpful

Arthur Edward Gardiner who served on HMS Russell is, according to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission Website “Remembered with Honour Chatham Naval Memorial”. CWGC also states that he died on 27 April 1916 aged 26 and was the son of Walter and Sarah Annie Gardiner, of 7, Gladstone Terrace, Hockley, Essex.

Does any of that fit in with what you know of your family?

Reputation beyond repute

If I can find anywhere where it states AEG DSM served on HMS Russell, this is my great uncle.
    Have you looked in the London Gazette for the DSM award?

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/

Have you downloaded his service record from the National Archives?

https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/D6912691

DSM GARDINER

Hello, Thanks for your replies so far, it seems everywhere you want to find something out, they are all asking for money even when they say free, so yes there is obviously information at the nationalarchvies and the forces war records. Anyway, looking good as Gardiner family was Hockley, Hawkwell, I know my great grandad Walter was a game keeper in the local area, so I need to check my nans maiden name, I have already looked up where they lived and they are typical Victorian terraces, couldn't see anything in the London Gazette, but this may just be me??? The main thing I am really after is to see his name with DSM after it, apart from the memorial I saw today, and to find out exactly what he did to get this award. Thank you for everyones help so far, Dean

DSM GARDINER

Having trouble loading up picture of monument in Hockley, says error every time, any tips?

thewideeyedowl

Default Naval casualty lists: April 1916

You will find your great-uncle's name here, on the casualty list for April 1916: https://www.naval-history.net/xDKCas1916-04Apr.htm. It doesn't advance your search a great deal - sorry - but, to a certain extent, confirms the mine story.

Owl

DSM GARDINER

Thanks, the jigsaw puzzle is coming together ......
    I would love to find a picture of him or the crew, I wonder if there would have been a newspaper in Malta that covered this??

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

Cant see any detail in London Gazette, the only way to answer the DCM question is to buy his service records, and for just over 3 pounds it is not a great expense. Possibly he was written up for an award (maybe DCM) but it never was approved. No sites with his name in it mention a DCM.

regards

Robert

DSM GARDINER

I wanted to get as much information as possible before buying anymore, so yes I will get his service records, thank you, but he was 100% awarded the DCM, I believe for throwing an un-exploded bomb out that saved many lives, his name on the war memorial in Hockley high street is the only name with DCM next to it. Thank you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast