Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

This looks like it could be the old memorial.

https://southend19141918.co.uk/church...ther-memorials

29.St.Peter + St.Paul’s Church,Church Road, Hockley.

Have you seen the new one yourself? I'm just down the road and if you would like me to take a look let me know.
    Can't find Gladstone Terrace on the map only Gladstone Road.

Keith

DSM GARDINER

Thanks Keith, have seen the monument many and got a few pictures myself, I think Gladstone Terrace and Gladstone Road are the same thing, I need to take pics of no. 5 and 7, I would be interested to see a picture of the memorial at Chatham as I have not bee there, and I will definitely make a visit to St Peter & St Paul's Church to see the mention there, thanks again, Dean

DSM GARDINER

I have now traced the Gardiner family back to the early 1800's, and it seems there are three monuments with his name, and each one states DSM. I also have all the information of the U-boat that laid the mines that sunk the boat / ship. There seems to be an angel monument in Malta that looks over the harbour that represents the lost, also there is separate monuments for one of the other stokers he worked with, have seen the footage when there was a dive on HMS Russell and looking up the family history back to the 1800's there are several other military family reports that I will share with you when I gain more information, two other brothers that served in WW1, but no info yet. I would just like to thank everyone for their enthusiasm and help. Dean

DSM GARDINER

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9511199&type=1

This is the link above to my facebook page, all we have found out at this moment in time about Alfred Edward Gardiner, feel free to 'like' this page if you find it interesting.
    This is an ongoing reseatch........

Thanks Dean

thewideeyedowl

Default Book

Have now found, from AbeBooks, that there is a book that lists all the 4000+ recipients of the DSM in WW1. Long title/details:

"Distinguished Service Medal, 1914-20: A Complete Record of 4052 Recipients of the Distinguished Service Medal for the Great War, with Citation Details and 14 Selected Despatches

ISBN 10: 0903754975 / 0-903754-97-5
    ISBN 13: 9780903754972
    Publisher: J.B.Hayward; Publication Date: 1981; Binding: Hardcover"

Problem is that the cheapest copy is c £15! But at least now we know that there is a book...

Owl

Knowledgeable and helpful

Perhaps a library might have a reference copy?

However I've looked on the Naval History website, where there is a long list of medals awarded, and although Arthur Edward Gardiner is mentioned as dying when the Russell was lost, I can't find him among the medal recipients.

https://www.naval-history.net/WW1Navy...tionszzDSM.htm

This appears to be a very useful website.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123