Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    thewideeyedowl

Pictures of the ship and a short description of what happened: https://www.the-weatherings.co.uk/pccship0124.htm.

Thanks for the UBoat link above. There is also a Roll of Honour on the website Maritime Quest - it's a .com.

Owl

PS I too have been searching for the citation in the London Gazette but cannot find anything.

thewideeyedowl

Default Diving expedition 2003

Interesting page here on a diving expedition to the wreck in 2003: https://www.shipwreckfilms.co.uk/page18.html. There are also photos of the memorial in Malta.

Still hunting for crew pics...

Owl

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

I have sent you a service record of Arthur Edward Gardiner b 1890 Hockley,Essex,,,served on the Russell....no mention of a DCM on the record.

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

Just because it is on a memorial does not mean it is true.
    It should be recorded in London Gazette and in his service record, or you will need to have proof, like a medal with his name on it or the citation given with it.

regards

Robert

DSM GARDINER

I have read several accounts now of him winning the DCM, and I would be very surprised them putting it on a war memorial if not the case. The medal probably would have been given to his parents, and this is what we are trying to establish at this moment in time.

thewideeyedowl

Default Newspaper obituary

Chelmsford Chronicle, 16 May 1916:

"Petty Officer Arthur E Gardiner, third son of Mr and Mrs Walter Gardiner, of Gladstone Terrace, Hockley, lost his life in the disaster to HMS Russell, which was mined in the Mediterranean on April 27. Two brothers are serving."

That is the only relevant newspaper item I could find, on FMP. Unfortunately, the archives available for The Times of Malta start in 1930.

Owl

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

Contact Hockley Parish Council and asked the source of the information they have put on the memorial, its not that old so somebody should know.

Keith

DSM GARDINER

Thanks Owl, any chance of seeing the newspaper cutting?
    So, this looks like my dad had two other uncles that served as well?
    I also have found out that the Gardiners all seemed to live between 5 - 7 Gladstone Terrace in Hockley, so will need to go and take a look at these properties.

thewideeyedowl

It looks as if the Hockley WM is quite recent. See this discussion from The Great War Forum: https://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/fo...owtopic=106533. This is why it would be a good idea to contact the Parish Council - Hockley has its own website.

Owl

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast