Thread: Missing Records

j.willis

Default Missing Records

I'm trying to find information about where Private Percy A Egre, Machine Gun Corps Regiment No 122703 fought during WW1. D.O.B.5/12/1889. His Medal card spells Percy with an extra 'e'. He survived the war physically unharmed. Possibly became a prisoner of war. We have very little information about his life at that time - he in common with many never spoke of his experiences. My Grandmother recalls that he used to shake and cry for many years after returning home to Jersey in the Channel Islands. We would like information about where he served.

Here's hoping someone can help.

Reputation beyond repute

His Medal card spells Percy with an extra 'e'
    I wouldn't say it does.

Please read the official guidance Note that most service records have not survived.

You could chase the reference in the medal index card to see whether the original medal roll identifies his battalion. You can't do that online.

Does anyone know whether the medal index card reference MGC/101 means he was in the 101st Company (and therefore the 101st Brigade)? If that's what it means, it would save him a job.

If you can find out what company he was in, you could look for the relevant war diaries in National Archives series WO95

https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...tails/r/C14303

I note that his name is correct on the medal card but the transcription on ancestry has the extra 'e'

The National Archives Here spells it correctly.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi Peter

No, MCG/101 is just the reference as far as I know, no link to a company or brigade.
    This is the reference you will need - https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C4436971

regards

Robert

SueNSW

According to International Red Cross records Percy does appear to have been a Prisoner of War. The records suggest he was captured at Villers Bretonneux on 27th April 1918 with a shoulder wound

In May 1918 he was reported to be at Limburg, in June at Darmstadt and in August at Munster.

The German interpretation of his MGC company or battalion looks on first glance to be a bit ambiguous so may not help to provide any more information and the medal roll is also of no further help unfortunately

Reputation beyond repute

the medal roll is also of no further help
    I'm not being pedantic but do you really mean the medal roll or the medal index card?

Robert does not think that the medal index card contains any clues about his unit. I was (and still am) suggesting that the medal roll may (or may not) identify what unit he was in.

SueNSW

MGC medal rolls do not give any more info on companies/battalions unfortunately

Looking again at the POW records I'd suggest he was with 218 Company MGC that became 8th battalion MGC in January 1918. They served with 8th Division

218 Company War Diary for the period 1/4/1917 to 28/2/1918 has been digitised and can be found here - https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C7352469

and

8 Battalion MGC -1/3/1918 to 31/3/1919 is here - https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C7352470

They can be downloaded for GBP3.30 each

Reputation beyond repute

So you have actually seen a copy of National Archives piece WO 329/1753.

SueNSW

Not the original - no - but I do have a transcription of his entry in the roll from a reliable source.

Additionally I've been a member of the Great War Forum long enough to know that whenever the question of identifying companies/battalions of the MGC comes up - it is advised by those who have seen the originals and often posted copies of original pages - that the medal rolls do not contain this information.

It is an ongoing frustration to serious researchers of the MGC that this information isn't available

Reputation beyond repute

Thank you. A full answer with an explanation is so much more helpful.