Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

The Michael Weldon mentioned by Christanel who served in the ASC and the Royal Irish regiment,,,did receive the Star.
    As did the one in the Argyll and Sutherland highlanders.

onyerbikeriley

Dear gortonboy, I am not sure If I sent this or not. I traced Thomas Weldon to Denzille Street so I think that this could be my Michael Weldon. However, the brother John is not included in the 1911 census and it states that only two children remain out of the six born to them. Mary and Michael. Perhaps John died in the meantime.
    Where did you get the Militia record from ? Where can I see it ? Thanks again for all the help

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

the militia record is on findmypast.

SueNSW

The A + SH Michael Weldon was discharged 7/1/1916 as a result of wounds and awarded a Silver War Badge.

There was also a Michael Weldon in the Army Veterinary Corps who was a pre war regular soldier and awarded the 1914/15 Star - but again discharged with a SWB - 11/4/1916 on grounds of sickness.

By elimination, it suggests the RIR/ASC man is correct - but interestingly the terms "Mons Star" and "Mons Medal" were generally used (incorrectly and colloquially - at the time and since) to refer only to the 1914 Star - for the very early entrants into the war - rather than the 1914/15 Star received by this man

In an earlier post it was mentioned that Michael was married in 1915 - have you got a copy of the cert that might mention his army status - and when and where did it take place.

onyerbikeriley

Dear SueNSW, If you read the replies given to me, it would appear that gortonboy has the correct Michael Weldon.. I have a copy of the marriage cert but he is only entered as a Soldier. What is A+SH and SWB. I am very new to this research and do not understand the terms. The mentions of the Mons Medal was in a letter from 1920 in which it was mentions that he got the Mons Medal and had two more medals to come. There is a family story about Mustard Gas poisoning was this WW1 ?

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

Mustard gas was used in WW1, so it is possible.
    A&SH - https://www.1914-1918.net/argyll.htm
    SWB - https://www.1914-1918.net/soldiers/swbrecords.html
    Star - https://www.1914-1918.net/soldiers/themedals.html

regards

Robert

SueNSW

Thanks Robert for clarifying the abbreviations

My contribution was to try to confirm that the medal card Christanel found at the beginning was likely to be the only record of your man (if he is the right one) available for WW1 that I understood you were interested in - by eliminating the other possible Michael Weldons - including the one in the Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders that gortonboy also suggested for WW1

The record gortonboy found was just for a very short period in the militia in 1907 - before he joined the Leinster Regiment as a regular soldier - unfortunately this latter service would likely have been included on his WW1 record - that doesn't seem to have survived

onyerbikeriley

Dear gortonboy, found the record and it looks like this might be the one I am looking for. However, how can I tell if this man received the Mons medal ? How long did this man serve? How do I find out if he was pensioned off with mustard gas poisoning as there was a story in the family about this. I am really appreciative of any help given
    Barbara

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12