Brick wall demolition expert!

Default Brickwall unblocker?

I have just watched the 100th edition of WDYTYA about Twiggy.

Her great great grandmother Grace Meadows nee Gillies went to prison and after release is found in the censuses up until her death as Grace Gillies, and there seem to be some of her children with her also listed as Gillies.

The programme does not tell us what happened to Grace's husband or other children, but the historian / genealogist said it was quite "common" for women to revert to their maiden name. In all the years I have been doing family history this is the first time that I have come across this, but that may be because I haven't "lost" anyone in such circumstances.

Anyway I thought that others might like to consider whether this might be a solution to their brickwall.

Reputation beyond repute

In all the years I have been doing family history this is the first time that I have come across this
    Likewise. I wouldn't say it was "common".

I look on WDYTYA as a just a human interest show. I don't think people should watch it expecting to pick up any useful tips.

PS Was this in England? It just occurred to me that Gillies is surely a Scottish surname. If all this wasn't in England, then put me down as a 'don't know'

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    PS Was this in England? It just occurred to me that Gillies is surely a Scottish surname. If all this wasn't in England, then put me down as a 'don't know'
    It all takes place in London.

Wilkes_ml

It is not something I have seen either, in all my several branches I have researched, so certainly not common. In Scotland married women usualy retain their maiden name, and are often found in the census and death registrations under their maiden name.

Although I do enjoy watching WDYTYA, I do find it rather frustrating, as they either miss out key pieces of research, or jump backwards & forwards. And also the way that "celebrities" are allowed to handle very old, fragile original documents with no gloves on!!!! It has been years since I have been allowed to even view original parish registers or settlement certificates etc. with gloves on! And of course they have a band of researchers that just magically produce certificates out of thin air.....apart from that, the programme is still interesting to watch!