Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Martin Taylor - Was he Danish?

I'm trying to find information on my GG Grandfather Martin Taylor born around 1835. On a census he has Tunning (Surrey)as his birthplace. I can't find this on any records as a place in the UK. My mum, who recently passed away, believes he was Danish and was a seaman. He was 'married' to a Harriet, who was born in Hazeleigh in Essex and she had a boarding house in Dover. There is no record of a marriage that I can find. My G Grandfather was William, born in Southwark, but no record of a William Taylor and he had a brother Francis Herbert born 1878 in Southwark. The family were in Southwark in the 1881 census. Further siblings were born in Dover, but Martin not on censuses, although his name does appear on some of his children's registrations. William and Francis may have been called Barker as their were births with that name with the right dates in Southwark. There is also records of a Harriet Barker born in Hazeleigh. A close relative of mine is very interested in Martin and is visiting Tonning in Germany (Schleswig-Holstein), as she had heard that he was German - although she agrees with me, that at the time of his birth, Tonning was actually in Denmark. Waiting in anticipation to hear from her.
    Does anyone else have anything more to go on?

Jeff

Reputation beyond repute

If the 1881 census is to be believed, he was an engineer. If that's correct you might have a fairly straightforward job.

Have a read of this research guide Then it's a case of popping along to the National Archives and following the advice.

I've got a ship's engineer in my tree and found out quite a lot about him at Kew.

Loves to help with queries

You would at least know Harriet's surname if you get a copy of Harriet Maud Taylor's birth certificate registered Dover in 1886.

Sue

Loves to help with queries

Found a Harriet Barker born abt 1846 Hazeleigh Essex on the 1871c age 25 living in Greenwich St Paul Kent

Harriet Barker
    Age - 25
    Estimated Birth Year - about 1846
    born - Hazbigh, Essex, England (if you look on the image it should read Hazeleigh)
    Civil Parish - Greenwich
    Ecclesiastical parish - Greenwich St Paul
    County Kent
    Registration district = Greenwich
    Sub-registration district -Greenwich West
    Piece 753 Folio 91 Page 25

Harriet Barker
    Name - Herriett Barker
    Baptism Date -4 Jul 1847
    Baptism Place - Hazeleigh, Essex
    Father - Samuel Barker
    Mother - Elizabeth
    FHL Film Number -1472365

Growing old Disgracefully

Any of the children's birth Cert will give you the mother's maiden name.

Harriet Maud Taylor
    1886 - Jan-Feb-Mar Qtr
    Dover, Kent
    Volume no 2a
    Page no 1029

this is the information you need and that will give you everything you need to go further back

Growing old Disgracefully

here is another one

Florence Ann Taylor
    Registration Year: 1888
    Registration Quarter: Jan-Feb-Mar
    Registration district: Dover, Kent
    Volume no 2a
    Page no 1009

Starting to feel at home

I've just ordered Harriet Maud's birth certificate. So should have it by the end of next week

Jeff

Starting to feel at home

I now have Harriet Maud Taylor's birth certificate and her mother's maiden name was Barker. The father is Martin Taylor - Mariner

Starting to feel at home

Just received the birth certificate of Francis Herbert M Barker born 8th June 1878, St. Saviour, Surrey (Southwark)

The birth certificate of Francis Herbert M Barker shows the M to be Molck. Harriet is the mother - there is no father listed.
    There is a Martin Molck, Mariner, born in Germany c. 1837 living with a Marie 'Molck' born Calais living in Westminster in the 1871 census.
    There is a Martin Harry Molck born St. Saviour, Southwark in 1870 - could be another of my relatives. I can find no other reference for him.
    A Martin Molk (no c) married an Elizabeth Reeve in Dover in 1865.
    There are several references between 1892 and 1896 on Ancestry of an M. Molck on board what appears to be a cross channel ferry run by the London, Chatham and Dover Railway Company. He is the Chief Engineer and has his date of birth as being 1834. On the 1892 log his birthplace is Toning. Other logs refer to birthplace as Calais.

Starting to feel at home

The birth of Francis H M Taylor is 5 Lant Street. The same address as Martin Taylor, Harriet, Francis and William have in the 1881 census

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast