Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Transfer from RMLI to RN

My grandfather Albert Edward Thake was a yeoman of signals in the RN. Prior to joining the RN he was in the Royal Marines. I have found his record in the RN but cannot find anything about his record in the Marines, he transferred on 31-7-1895
    Anyone got any ideas of how to proceed His number in the RN was 184884

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I've found the link to the online records for Royal Marines held at The National Archives, but didn't have any luck when searching his name.
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/r...er-service.htm

There are several TNA research guides for the Royal Marines. I don't know if any of them will be of any help.
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/atoz/r.htm#

Pam

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I'm not sure if you made a typo but I've amended the thread title to RMLI, because in the UK RNLI stands for Royal National Lifeboat Institution.
    It was only when I was searching the TNA online records that I found out that you meant RMLI otherwise I'd still be scratching my head in puzzlement!

Pam

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks Pam, you are absolutely correct.
    I have him in the 1981 census living in London and the 1991 at Hamoaze Devonport assigned to HMS Neptune and then there is a notation 31-7-1895 on his RN record that says "approved transfer from Marines to RN. I looked for information for attestation papers but came up blank, hence throwing out a call for help
    Best regards
    Roger

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Of course that should read 1881 and 1891!!!!

Michael Duke

Up to l think, the 1980s, all personal records were given to the ratings on discharge. They were written in ink on waterproofed linen or silk to be kept permanant and indestructable. I still have mine. The RMLI and RN all come under the Admiralty remit so would be the same procedure I imagine.

Best Regards Michael