Thread: MOD Records

DavidWP

Default MOD Records

How long does it take to get a response back from MOD records? I appreciate that with the anniversary of the 1914-1918 war there may increased interest in those records causing a backlog.Thank You

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I haven't (yet) applied for any records, but I understand it used to take months. So I would allow up to a year at the moment.

ETA: If you're asking because of not sending a death certificate, then if you can find a phone number, give them a ring. Otherwise, send a further letter, explaining the situation (but don't enclose the certificate). I would have thought they would reply to that within a couple of weeks.

Pam

A fountain of knowledge

I think each record office have had differing timescales in the past, certainly for the Army this has been anywhere from 6 months to a year, the RAF generally 3-6 months and the Navy around the same.

However this is for the results to be sent back, as for interim answers to general queries etc -I don't have any experience I am afraid.

None are particularly good at answering the telephone -according to the feedback we regularly receive at FWR support.

Certainly the 1914-18 interest has made a huge difference I am quite sure, although obviously the MOD only have records post 1921-22 IIRC?

DavidWP

Thanks for the speedy response! If it takes 6 months or more then they will have problems with the payment of £30.00 I sent. Cheques are only valid for 6 months from date of issue!..unless of course they bank it prior to that date.The advice on not sending a death certificate is a sound one so will drop them a note.Thanks again.

I ordered my Father's RAF records a couple of years ago. It took about 3-4 months before I had the papers. That was before the flood of ww1 and ww2 anniversaries started.
    As Tim says, the situation for the different services varies. I was told that an additional problem with RAF records is that because it was such a young service, many/most of the airmen carried on after ww1 and their records are therefore held by MOD because they run after 1921.

It was well worth getting them and the wait - Dad had been to several bases I didn't remember!

I ordered my father's army records at the beginning of April this year and had them in my hands in June of this year so just about two months.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

DavidWP

I had all my paperwork & Cheque returned on Sat stating that they required my father's death certificate.I had a GRO copy so sent all back again.The notes they enclose stated it could take 6 months to 1 year to get a reply.lets hope its sooner!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Thank you for the update, David.

The good news is that we know that they open the applications quite quickly and respond if there seems to be a problem with the forms.
    Bad news is that my 'I would allow up to a year' in post #2 seems to be a fairly accurate assessment of how long before you receive the records.

Pam