Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Growing old Disgracefully

Have any of us found anything about John Martin yet (or is this a bit of a stupid question)

All the family trees on Ancestry where others have this family no one has anything about Him and he should be on 1841 and 1851 census at least.

Valued member of Brit-Gen SandraL's Avatar

You are probably right about it being money and not land. As legacy could means a few things.

No I don't think I have looked for a will on anyone yet in England yet.

I should see if I can find something on them in Georgetown Ontario too. I should also see what else this other relative has in Georgetown. I haven't bugged her in a while now. Other then asking her for the birthdate and a pic of her first grandson not long ago. This person is the great grand daughter of Joe Martin that has sent me some things mostly of Joe's line.

I'm also wondering if John and Jane didn't marry till they came to Canada too. That is possible if there were lies that were hidden.

And there is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers.

I'm more inclined to say Thomas does not fit into this tree. If he had died at birth or soon after there would be a gravesite for him at the Caledon East Public cemetery and according to the transcripts there is no Thomas in "OUR" section.

And I still have my doubts that Harriet is in this tree either.

I just noticed in the transcripts that John Martin's birth year was 1829 not 1828.

And according to the transcripts it shows Sarah Rebecca Martin born May 1860 and died December 23 1930. And it states that Annie Martin's birth as 1849 to 1928 as my family had her death date as 1933. So look at how many errors are in my tree gees.

I also noticed on my brother in law's list a death certificate for "OUR" John was wrong too. He did find a death certificate but it looks like he didn't read that certificate very well as "THAT" John shows he died in the Wellington area and as far as I know "OUR" John never had ties to that area. Plus on "THAT" John's certificate stated he was married at the time of his death. "OUR" John had been widowed 23 years at the time of his death. So I guess my brother in law missed that word married on that certificate. So again, another error.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    Have any of us found anything about John Martin yet (or is this a bit of a stupid question)

All the family trees on Ancestry where others have this family no one has anything about Him and he should be on 1841 and 1851 census at least.
    Hi Sandyhall
    Not a stupid question but one that has brought us back on track
    I did find a baptism for a John Martin with only a mother's name - Jane -

Below could be a good match for John as he and Jane married in the September 1/4 later that year.
    1851 HO107 piece 2427 folio 125 page 40
    Brampton
    James Martin 74 weaver cotton trade born Esh Holme Northumberland
    Ann Martin 75 Scotland
    John Martin 24 grandson railway labourer born Brampton
    Ann Martin 16 granddaughter Brampton

SandraL

If I were you I would ignore all the other family trees and do your own thing using only the information you know to be true. So there are only 7 children to John and Jane on the censuses which is also mentioned in one of the newspaper articles. If you can back up any of the information with birth, marriage, death certificates, census records and other paper work then accept it. If you can't find a source for information then it is filed away in the 'where is the proof for this?' file.
    Oh and don't get too bound up with a year or two difference in ages. They weren't as particular as we are now and also depending on when a census was taken could make a small difference also who was providing the information could add to the confusion.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

This looks to be John in my last post with his grandparents James and Ann in 1841 and is a good example of ages being out of kilter. You have to remember also that the instructions to enumerators for the 1841 census was (for anyone over the age of 15) to round down the ages to the next five. Some did it and some didn't but this one does seem to as all the ages end in 5 or 0
    HO107 Piece 167 Book 13 Folio 12 page 18
    Brampton
    James Martin 60 weaver Born in Couny? No
    Ann Martin 65 Scotland
    Ann Martin 25 Yes
    John Martin 13 Yes
    Ann Martin 8 Yes

We do not know yet if this is your John and we have to prove it. Somehow?!
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thanks for your reply Christina.

Plus with having a son named John too is no help when looking. That's why I always refer to him as John Grant Martin.

And so true on years. Especially back in those days people were not that educated due to them being needed to work the farms. Even my other grandmother was totally illerate since she never went to school at all. My grandfather did teach her how to write her name for legal purposes. And on my illerate grandmother's side was so true to that having different info on the spelling. North of the US border her surname was spelled Crozier but south of the US border it's spelled Crosier. (A good example of differences). And yes they would probably want thier exact age at time of census but they may have a birthday coming up within the next few months.

And yes Thomas and Harriett did not fit into this puzzle at all. So those are the 2 on their lists that shouldn't be. So it looks like 7 of them were the actual number. As I said Joe's mind was all there. A truly amazing man he was and I was so fortune to have met him in my life. He wins a step dancing contest at age 90. And still played his bones till he died.

No idea what James did for a living. He is not buried with the rest of the Martin clan. I did find his gravesite today. He and his wife moved a bit more north and were buried in that location.

Growing old Disgracefully

Christina gave you this marriage details you need this as it will give you so much information to prove who their parents where

Marriages Sept 1/4 1851
    John Martin
    Jane Nixon
    Brampton
    vol 25
    page 27

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast