Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen SandraL's Avatar

According to the 1901 census James was a shoemaker and living in the town of Beeton Ontario and buried in the Beeton United Cemetery. His wife Catharine Moore is also buried with James but has her maiden name Moore on her headstone.

If Ann was living in Scotland area. That would more then likely mean the town of Scotland Ontario. But I don't think any moved into that area of Ontario.

Joe also had a son named John Martin Mar 3 1893-died June 28 1978 that moved to the London area of Ontario. Joe's son John never married. And as far as I know Joe's son John bred thoroughbred horses.

That info does look correct Sandyhall. So they would have married prior to coming to Canada then.

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by SandraL View Post
    According to the 1901 census James was a shoemaker and living in the town of Beeton Ontario and buried in the Beeton United Cemetery. His wife Catharine Moore is also buried with James but has her maiden name Moore on her headstone.

If Ann was living in Scotland area. That would more then likely mean the town of Scotland Ontario. But I don't think any moved into that area of Ontario.

Joe also had a son named John Martin Mar 3 1893-died June 28 1978 that moved to the London area of Ontario. Joe's son John never married. And as far as I know Joe's son John bred thoroughbred horses.
    No you are getting confused again Ann Martin wife of James Martin (John Martin's grand parents as in 1841 & 1851 English Census) was born IN Scotland, Great Britain not Canada

Event Type: Marriage to James Martin
    Event Date: 05 Dec 1888
    Event Place: Beeton, Ontario, Canada
    Birth Year (Estimated): 1856
    Father's Name: John Martin
    Mother's Name: Jane Martin
    Spouse's Name: Catherine Moore
    Spouse's Age: 32
    Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated): 1856
    Spouse's Father's Name: Hugh Moore
    Spouse's Mother's Name: Mary Jane Moore (nee Hanna)
    Page: 011054

John Martin Sr was married to Jane Martin nee Nixon.

This was the James Martin I was thinking of. John and Jane's son. At least I was right on that part. LOL

It shows on our lists John's father was Elisha Martin born about 1800. But look how many errors I hawe come across already with this line. So nothing would surprise me anymore.

At least we aren't searching out my 3rd g great grandfather on my mother's side. That was one bad skeleton I hid deep in my closet. LOL

I assume James was from Great Britain and Anne from Scotland?

Great Britain is made up of England, Ireland and Scotland.and Wales
    The UK (United Kingdom) is Great Britain and Northern Island.

So James and Ann were both born in Great Britain (or the UK) but being specific James was born in England and Ann born in Scotland, which are two of the nations making up Great Britain.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

If you are dead set serious on knowing which are your ancestors then certificates have to be purchased. So John and Jane's marriage certificate is the first one. See the details - reposted by Sandyhall - in post #50 and This is where you order certificates of registration which commenced in September 1837.

Some of the tree owners have, for whatever reason, picked out Elisha Martin in Cornwall as being the father of your John born 1828, mother Jane. It is quite clear through the censuses in England and other articles that your John was born Brampton Cumberland

I would put odds on it that this is the baptism of your John which is on familysearch.org. Family search is the first stop for looking for BMD records prior to 1837 and of course later for a variety of records records.
    Christening Date - 11 Jan 1828
    Christening Place - Brampton Cumberland
    Mother's Name - Jane Martin
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: P00478-1,
    System Origin - England-ODM
    GS Film number - 0252842-0252847

It is no longer necessary to order in the microfilm of the parish record from an LDS centre because they have introduced a photocopy duplication service This link tells you how.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Great Britain is made up of England, Ireland and Scotland.
    The UK (United Kingdom) is Great Britain and Northern Island.

So James and Ann were both born in Great Britain (or the UK) but being specific James was born in England and Ann born in Scotland, which are two of the nations making up Great Britain.

Christina
    LOL Christina you missed out Wales you'll upset a lot of people if you forget about them LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    LOL Christina you missed out Wales you'll upset a lot of people if you forget about them LOL
    Oh gosh Sue Mackay and Ladkyis will de-Mod me!

Have fixed it. Thanks

Christina
    William Burroughs

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast