Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen SandraL's Avatar

Wink

Now I know they did. It was before the days of central heating and they had to keep warm somehow.

My assumption of what happened. Jane Martin was casually dating someone and she got pregnant and he flew the coop when he found that info out. But those are questions that will never be answered. I tried to do a search on Jane and with John's age on certain censuses but no luck on finding a male name.

Hello Sandra
    Unfortunately I don't think you will ever know the name of John Martin's father.
    You may want to purchase the book My Ancestor was a Bastard by Ruth Paley. It is available online.

Also read this thread on our forum about bastardy bonds, it may help explain how unmarried mothers could seek help from the parish and father of their child.

As posted earlier in this thread. I think this is John in 1851 with his mother's parents (his grandparents)
    1851 HO107 piece 2427 folio 125 page 40
    Brampton
    James Martin 74 weaver cotton trade born Esh Holme Northumberland
    Ann Martin 75 Scotland
    John Martin 24 born c 1827 grandson railway labourer born Brampton
    Ann Martin 16 granddaughter Brampton

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

That is what I was trying to do. But that didn't go well either since I didn't have a father's name for Jane Martin. And she more then likely stayed in England. As unlike for John and Jane are the ones that came to Canada.

And no I have my doubts I will ever find out who his father was.

I had put Jane's birth years down from 1802 to 1812. John was born in 1828.

A possible baptism and birth for John Nixon (father of Jane born 1823)
    John Nixon
    Christened 29 April 1784
    Christening Place: Bromfield Cumberland
    Born 9 March 1784
    Father - Robert Nixon
    Mother - Sally

Jane's baptism

Jane Nixon
    Christened 20 Oct 1822 Brampton, Cumberland, England
    Father - John Nixon
    Mother - Ann Nixon

There are a few other baptisms of children to this couple on familysearch.org and here is one to put the cat amongst the pigeons re the Moses name.

John Nixon
    Christened 5 Aug 1810 Brampton, Cumberland, England
    Father - John Nixon
    Mother Ann Nixon(Moses)

So was Jane Nixon's mother a Moses? My head is starting to spin here. Who was it we found had Moses connection previously?

My assumption of what happened. Jane Martin was casually dating someone and she got pregnant and he flew the coop when he found that info out. But those are questions that will never be answered.
    Never assume! Ann Elizabeth could have been the dau of John Martin and her parents married after her birth. Probably now only DNA tests of the descendants would help with sorting this out. But that is a very dangerous thing to introduce to the family. I would keep stum and let them figure it out.
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

The Y-DNA (male to male) isn't cheap here in Canada anyhow. It's about $200-$400. And I'm not close to my family either.

On the other side of the family I was asked to find someone to do it. Needless to say I don't like being put in a situation like that. I don't know why he doesn't do a posting on the A site on the message boards which are free to post on. Needless to say I don't plan on asking anyone.

And yes so true, never assume.

I haven't really been working on that side much lately. Recently I have been busy putting a tree together on Geni. And I am still trying to get more info on the Robinson side. I have a lot of NFI on that side. I'm not having much luck on finding info on them yet.

"Who was it we found had Moses connection previously?"

It was the beautiful you who found that info.

I'm back to working on this line again and now I am trying to find out what James's wife's Ann's maiden name is. I do believe James and Ann were John's grandparents. I have James birth as 1781.

I wouldn't doubt Jane Martin, John's mother's birth was around 1808 or so range. Since John Martin was born in 1828.

One thing I noticed is I have never been able to find Jane on any censuses. So I am wondering if she died young and that is why John went to live with his grandparents.

I haven't had much luck yet finding Ann's surname. It shows on the 1851 census she was born in Scotland.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast