Thread: Edgar Collcutt

tucloc

Default Edgar Collcutt

I am trying to trace my grandfather Edgar Collcutt who served as an Officer for the Special reserve Territorial army as Acting Captain and then Acting leiutenant in the Royal Engineers. I know he served near Ypres during 1915 around the time of the big push. I will be going out to Ypres next month and it would be very interesting to know where he served and whether he also moved on to Arras. Any help woul be very much appreciated.

Reputation beyond repute

Is that Edgar Hugh Collcutt?

Have you tried the National Archives? If it's the right man, I can see this service record (WO 339/79880):

https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C1133708

You can pop along to the National Archives and read it free of charge.

There's a medal index card as well -

https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/D1881876

This is also available on Ancestry where it shows some additional information viz his address bit I imagine you already know that.

tucloc

Peter thanks for your email and research. I do have this information and I am now trying to find information about what he was doing at Ypres 1915. I know that he was involved in road repairs, that he was promoted to Acting Captain and Lieutenant and mentioned in dispatches. He refers in his diary to the big push but very little information just references. his commanding Officer appears to be Lt CcRE Forbs and my grandfather,s army book states he served as RR a.s.c M.T from 16.4.16 to 3.12.16 then Road Troops then 312 RCC RE from 4.2.17 to18.2.17 and then 343 RCC RE from 9.8.17 to 15.6.19.