NZAnne

Default Help, I am new to this!

I have been trying to confirm some details about my grandfather.

He was in the K.O.S.B.s. We were always told he was an RSM.

I have his Demobilization certificate and a photo of his company. "E" Co, KOSB New Years Day 1913.
    The photo shows him with a single chevron.

The demob certifictae shows he enlisted in 1915 was a corporal when he was transferred to Army Reserve in 1919. The dates don't match!

I also have two Army Council education certifictes for 1912 & 1913.

I have used the Forces War Records site, put in his name, his regtl number and nothing comes up attached to the KOSB's.

How can I find out if he was a RSM and how long he ws actually in the army?

I appreciate anyone's suggestions.

Thanks.

Welcome to British-Genealogy NZAnne

ancestry and FMP( pay per view sites) are the only ones licenced to make available online, the 40% of service records for WW1 which survived the bombing/fire in WW11.
    ancestry and The National Archives both have Medal Roll Index Card records so even though your grandfather's records may not have survived it should be there.
    If you would like to give us your grandfather's name we can take a look for you.
    Actually you seem to have a lot more information than some of us ever find out.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

NZAnne

Thank you for that.

John Edward Holt. Born Burnely 1890 (1891 on demob certificate!!)

I have no one to pass these documents on to and was thinking that the KOSB museum would like them?

Is this him in 1891 census
    33 Higher Water Street Burnley
    George Holt 28 Cotton mule spinner born Bolton
    Eliza Holt 28 Thorley Durham
    Joseph Holt 2 Lowerhouse Lancashire
    John E Holt 9/12 Lowerhouse Lancashire
    Robert Holt 18 Brother Bolton
    Thomas Ellis 23 brother-in-law Holywell Flintshire

8 Lionel St Burnley
    George Holt 48
    Eliza Holt 47
    Joseph Holt 22
    John Edward Holt 20 single Insurance agent born Burnley
    Christina Holt 19
    Catherine Holt 17
    Ann Holt 15
    Cissie Holt 11
    Florence Holt 3
    All children born Burnley

How lucky can you be! His service records are on ancestry! Proof, his father given as George, 8 Lionel Street Burnley. His age is given as 18+ so born 1894! but it is him. Service number 11230 he signed up in Sunderland and from the little I have read he applied for discharge in 1914 and was granted it on the payment of 18 pounds.
    Can you access ancestry or FMP?
    There is also a public tree on ancestry that has John's son dying in Australia.
    Having these records would be the icing on the cake.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

NZAnne

The first part is accurate as I also have John's birth certificate. States born 1890??

I am not sure of the second part. Is a regtl number ( 22490 )the same as a service number? If so, it is different.

According to what I have, he signed up in 1915, not discharged in 1914, assuming we are still talking about John.

His son, my uncle, did die in Australia.

Looks as though two records have been mixed????

How confusing!

Some soldiers who had been in the army before WW1 and been discharged found themselves serving again in WW1. The army was desperate for experienced (and fit) men. Similarly, service numbers changed (my current study of only 129 men includes some with a couple and one with 4) either because of a change in regiment or a change in numbering system...
    The matching address and name of father suggests that your guy was among this group.

Read the records through.

SueNSW

Certainly looks like the same man - he spent about two and a half years in the KOSB's initially, enlisting in January 1912 and buying himself out in July 1914 - as 11230 - which would explain your references to documents etc dated 1912 and 1913

Subsequently he re-enlisted during the war with the same regiment as 22490 - he wasn't entitled to a 1914-15 Star so didn't go overseas until after 1/1/1916. He was a corporal rather than an RSM

NZAnne

Fascinating! Thank you everyone. He did fight in Arras (he told me when I started writing to a pen friend there) and it was my mother who told me he was a RSM. Maybe I am remembering this incorrectly!!!

Onward and upward!