Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brick wall demolition expert!

Default Susannah Baptism

It's always a good thing when ancestors have names not to common..even better if they have a middle name.
    Think I have a good match here...members thoughts??

3x G Gran Susannah Sophia Woolley Brn 1797 ( age established from death cert) was looking for births London as she married there prior to immigrating.

Found Susannah Sophia Woolley - baptised Basford Nottingham 1797...

Reputation beyond repute

If you find a possible candidate you need to try to eliminate her from your enquiries. Trace the Basford one forwards. Perhaps this one died young, or lived a long and happy life in the Basford area. If you can't account for her in the Nottinghamshire or Derbyshire area then you can start pondering the balance of probabilities.

janbooth

I think you may have hit the nail on the head. Nottinghamshire FHS Baptismal Index show the baptisms at Basford of the following WOOLLEYs:

28 September 1783 Mary daughter of William & Elisabeth WOOLLEY
    4 September 1785 Sarah daughter of William & Elisabeth WOOLLEY
    26 July 1789 William son of William & Elisabeth WOOLLEY
    13 November 1791 Thomas Parkinson son of William & Elisabeth WOOLLEY buried 26 April 1795 at Basford
    31 October 1793 Joseph son of William & Elisabeth WOOLLEY
    9 April 1797 Susanna Sophia daughter of Wm & Elisabeth WOOLLEY

Not at all conclusive in itself, but Ancestry have a PCC Will dated 21 February 1805 with a codicil dated 1 September 1806 and proved at London on 9 March 1807, for a William WOOLLEY of Walham Green, Middlesex, Brewer, in which he mentions the following:

Dear wife Elizabeth
    Sons and daughters Ann WOOLLEY, Elizabeth SOARE wife of William SOARE, Mary WOOLLEY, Sarah WOOLLEY, William WOOLLEY, Joseph WOOLLEY, Frances? WOOLLEY & Susannah Sophia WOOLLEY.
    Son John Parkinson WOOLLEY with whom he is in partnership

The Will is over 3 pages long and I have only scanned it for any relevant information, so you may be able to glean further clues from it. However, I think the coincidences are too great for this to be any other than your Susanna Sophia's father. Obviously PARKINSON is a family name somewhere along the line as William & Elisabeth had a Thomas Parkinson WOOLLEY born & died in Basford, an Ann WOOLLEY was witness at Susannah Sophia's marriage in 1822 and the majority of the children's names in the Will correspond to those baptised in Basford. There are 4 missing, those being Ann, Elizabeth, Frances? & John Parkinson and they could have been born elsewhere. See what you think anyway after having read the Will.

I couldn't find a marriage with any certainty of the Notts FHS Marriage Index of a Susannah Sophia WOOLLEY but my copy is quite an old one and probably out of date by now, so that is not conclusive either. However, there is a marriage record on Ancestry for a John Parkinson WOOLLEY at Fulham on 16 February 1805 and there may be marriages for some of the other children which could be worth following through.

Janet
    Last edited by janbooth; 22-09-2014 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Missing text

janbooth

Another two pieces of information from Ancestry's Select England & Wales Christening records:

24 October 1779 at Gotham, Notts Elizabeth WOOLLEY, daughter of William & Elizabeth baptised
    25 December 1781 at Gotham, Notts John Parkinson WOOLLEY, son of William & Elizabeth baptised

I did find a marriage on the Notts FHS Marriage Index at Costock, Notts on 25 June 1776 of a William WOOLLEY & an Elizabeth STEPHENSON which may be relevant to you.

Janet

Reputation beyond repute

I would agree with Janet that the will (well found, Janet) is tipping the balance of probabilities quite dramatically towards the Basford connection!

Thank you so much..Susannah has been a little neglected in the family tree....one of my husbands cousins spent a long time compiling the Griifiths family history and publishing it into a wonderful book..I have been slowly working through the book and have found a few omissions... Nothing major..they did a great job pre computers..mainly from visiting the UK and doing the footwork, and searching parish records.
    Susannah and Stansel Griffiths migrated to Australia in 1834 with 5 children ( 1 born on board ship) they had 3 more children in Australia... Great Tasmanian pioneer family. They gave their children great names inc the first son to be born in Australia..Henry Australis Griffiths.
    Thank you again..much appreciated

Found the will now to print it up and try to read it ! Thank you

janbooth

Glad to be of help. If you get stuck on the Will - the writing is not the easiest - let me know and I will have a go. Two heads are nearly always better than one.

Janet

just to confuse issues another John Parkinson Woolley baptised at St Lawrence 16 Feb 1783 to John and Alice.
    there are also 2 Susannah Parkinson Woolley's born to John and Alice in 1791 and 1793

So the father John is obviously a relation perhaps a brother to William Woolley.
    Parkinson must be a family name..and I am guessing Susannah may be to.

Ann Woolley Basford 12 March 1796

No baptisms found for Frances yet.

one to keep aside for later.....the Parkinson connection...

William Woolley & Ann Parkinson 27 Jun 1751

Book:
    Marriages at Bingham, 1598 to 1812. (Marriage)

Collection:
    Nottinghamshire: - Registers of Marriages, 1538-1812

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast