Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Royal Dragoons - Pre WWII

I had an uncle (Trooper James Frederick Pollington) who died at El Alamein on 27th May 1942. Many years ago I contacted the MOD who passed me to the Household Cavalry Museum. They sent me pages of a book (The Story of The Royal Dragoons) which dealt with the days leading up to his death and although it did not mention him by name it did refer to "one other man" who did not return from a mission. They, and I, think the 'other man' is my uncle. The CWGC told me where he is commemorated and I've been lucky enough to visit the site and see his name on the memorial.

Recently a cousin (the son of the very close brother of James) has given me a photograph album. The inside front cover says "This album is the property of Tpr. J. F. Pollington, Officer Mess, Royal Dragoons, Palestine" and says it was "Bought in Hadera October 1938". The little black and white photos are all carefully mounted with titles/notes and dated. The first photo is "Some of 2nd Troop B Sqnd taken August 1937 at Shorncliffe". I know Shorncliffe was a big Army camp in Kent. Other photos are of their sea crossing to Palestine in October 1938 and various scenes of camp life, local scenes etc. It was obviously a great adventure he wanted to record and look back on.

Does anybody know what they might have been doing in Palestine pre-WWII? I'm also wondering if it's worth trying to get his WWII service records although there is something on the Forces War Records site.

Any advice what I should do next and make the most of this recently found treasure?

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

HI

Get his WW2 records, they will also have what he did before then.
    It should list from when he joined to his death.
    FWR wont have much.
    regards

Robert

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

The Dragoon's would have been sent to Palestine on Internal Security Duties. This was the time of the Palestine Revolt 1936-1939.
    The Royal Dragoon's were stationed in the Lydda area.
    As Robert said I would apply for his service record.
    Keith