Loves to help with queries

Default Findmypast - Question

Hi, if there is a birth/baptism on findmypast that you want. Does it give you information on the childs parents (their names). Or is it better just to order the birth cert.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

If you're talking about finding an entry in the GRO Index (births England and Wales 1837-2006) then from September quarter 1911 the mother's maiden name is included in the registration.
    Depending on how common the name is you can sometimes work back and find the possible marriage of the parents, but you can't definitely prove who the parents are unless you send for the birth certificate.

Provided you're not talking about someone who could still be living, if you'd like to post name(s) in the forum we could perhaps help, or suggest where else you might look to prove the parentage without sending for the birth certificate. (e.g. some baptisms are online.)

Pam

Hi Pam, Florence Mary Dean born abt 1884 Abingdon, Berkshire. We believe she was born out of wedlock. She is living with Frederick Henry Drew (b.abt 1868 Folkestone, Kent) in Crowthorne Berkshire in 1891 and recorded as a visitor, then in 1901 she is still with Frederick and recorded as his niece. Florence married Charles Edwin Taylor in 1906. Im trying to find out who Florence's parents are, as their are many stories. I cant find any tie up with the Drew family ie Florence " a niece"

Looking on FreeBMD there are two Florence M Dean births registered 1884. One in Abingdon March 1/4 and the other Windsor Dec 1/4. The last one is with parents Thomas and Jane in 1891.
    I took a look on FMP and it is the GRO birth registration, not a baptism record so the birth certificate is needed.

Christina

Added: Even Frederick H is with his grandparents on the 1891/1881/1871!
    RG10 Piece 1278 Folio 17 Page 28
    James New 52
    Amelia New 49
    George Jas Drew 9 g/son
    John C Drew 8 g/son
    Frederick HI Drew 5 g/son
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

I thought that would be the case. I found a baptism record on the Dean family tree (ancestry) for a Florence Mary Dean on the 13 Jan 1884 Longworth, Berkshire, St Mary. The mother is Elizabeth Dean born 1849 Berkshire, she is not married, she doesn't marry until 1893 (to a William Buxton) I followed her through the census and no daughter was ever with her. The family story is that Florence's father was a 15 -16yr old boy, he wanted to marry Florence's mother but wasn't allowed. (I wonder if there is a tie up - a young man having an affair with an older woman) I think Frederick Henry Drew could be her father, as he appeared to bring her up. Anyway very interesting, I will send for the birth cert (the Abington one). Note - I did send an email to the person with the Dean family tree, but never had an answer. Thanks for your help

There's no father named on her marriage certificate; John Charles was entered but has been crossed out!

I haven't seen her marriage certificate, as been unable to find it

I would love a copy of her marriage cert if you have it. Strange that John Charles was entered then crossed out. Frederick Henry Drew has got a brother name John Charles born abt 1864

The marriage is on 'All London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921' search by Charles Edwin Taylor as Florence's surname is mistranscribed as DRAN. Do let me know if you don't have access to the certificate.

Alma.