Desperate Dan

Default Content of War Diaries

I have an Uncle who was killed in WW1 (Yes, I really am that old ! and my mother had me late )

Having been helped to find some information by the excellent folk at The Great War Forum I have read the War Diary for the day that he was killed. I had expected to find some personal mention of him, and the nature of his tragic death at 18 .

It states rather matter-of factly that "Germans were repeatedly checked from crossing our lines, 2 men killed ,1 wounded". That is it, no name, no "pack number". I know that this is in the context of multiple deaths all the time but one might have expected more. Or am I reading it from a cosy twentyfirst century liberal position?

Incidentally a few days later the C/Officer records that a certain 2nd Liet. Kenward was injured. Further on still, after standing down from the front line he takes pride in recording for posterity that his regiment played the Northamptonshires at football and beat them 5 - 0 . I guess the football score was more important that a teenage private's name who gave his life for his country.

My point of the post is to ask a direct question. Was it a general rule, or War Office directive that ordinary soldiers were not named casualties in these diaries, or just the attitude of this Commanding Officer?

Thanks

A fountain of knowledge

Hello, I'll leave your question to someone who will know more than me for sure.
    When I first started looking a regimental diaries also it only ever has officers in them mentioned -usually when joining or leaving a regiment or when killed.
    It might have been a policy or simply because they thought it would take too much time to add everyone wounded/killed on a daily basis to such records?

richard40

I have found in my research that generally Officers are named other ranks not, I am baffled by a relative killed between the dates of Messines Ridge at which he fought, and Paschendale, he was in the region of Hill 60, a notoriously long lasting problem area, frequently changing hands, and in fact one report states on the day of his death the dressing station was possibly in enemy hands, all that can be found though 2 other ranks killed, presumably him being one. the dressing station was exactly where he is buried, it is now Woods Cemetry, Zillebeke.

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

HI

It was the custom in WW1 that officers were mentioned in War Dairies, but other ranks were not unless it was for a gallantry award or in a story to do with an officer. Most times it just records how many were killed or wounded each day. Sad now, but then it was what they did.

regards

Robert

Valued member of Brit-Gen emmteeyess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by simmo1 View Post
    HI

It was the custom in WW1 that officers were mentioned in War Dairies, but other ranks were not unless it was for a gallantry award or in a story to do with an officer. Most times it just records how many were killed or wounded each day. Sad now, but then it was what they did.

regards

Robert
    This would be my gut feeling too - I don't think it was a 'rule' on who was mentioned , it was just the way of things.
    I've seen a CSM named, but for gallantry rather than everyday actions.
    Sadly the other ranks were just numbers of 'cannon fodder'.
    The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there.

Cheers, emmteeyess