Thread: royal navy

elliottann

Default royal navy

I am looking for information on a William Telfer who joined the Royal Navy on 17th Dec. 1941. he was on a minesweeper and started at HMS Royal Arthur, Skegness
    I have used all the search things I can think of but cannot find any information.
    his registration nomber was CPF 41092. he was born October 1920
    ann:

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Hi Ann
    Sorry nothing on your man, but as background HMS Royal Arthur was ex-Butlins Holiday Camp at Skegness and Central Reception Depot for most naval entries at the time.
    Peter
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Ann,

The MoD still hold the service records for WW2 personnel. If the person has been deceased for over twenty-five years then anyone can ask for the records; otherwise it's only next of kin, or those with permission of next of kin who can apply for the full records. Unconnected people can apply for a shortened version of the records.

Have a read of this, though note the naval section after WW1.
    Prior to 1972 Royal Naval personnel were given their service records on discharge. Only pay details were kept for Pension purposes. Therefore the only information held on RN personnel who served prior to 1972 is their Service details (number, rank, name etc) and a list of dates and ships/shore bases.

Pam

Hi
    take a look Here for information and links on where to look for service records for WW11 which are not yet available on line.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

elliottann

many thanks. will have a go although it looks a bit daunting xxx ann

MadeleineNZ

If William Telfer was in the navy when he died and he died after WW2 he may be listed in 'Casualty Lists of the Royal Navy, 1945-present' in this site: https://www.patriotfiles.com/archive/...tory/index.htm One of my cousins died in 1972 while he was in the navy and I found him in that list. Otherwise I suggest you have a good look round the site to see if you can locate William anywhere.