Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ajfeely

Janet, thank you for the wealth of information on Granville and his family. That really is most helpful.
    I started this search looking for possible connections to WW1 in advance of a trip my family is planning to Belgium. I can't believe how much further I have been able to go - thanks again
    Jane

Name well known on Brit-Gen

If Granville connected to your family I found this when looking yesterday!

HO107 856 3

George St Basford

CUTTS Samuel 35

CUTTS Hannah 30

BROOMHEAD Thomas 3

BROOMHEAD Granville 4 Mo all born county

BROOMHEAD Ann 15 not born county

Reputation beyond repute

What you'll probably find useful is this book:

Battery records of the Royal Artillery 1716-1877 by M.E.S Laws, pub. Woolwich : Royal Artillery Institute, 1952

(two volumes - 1716-1859 and 1859-1877)

Inter-library loans should do the trick. They are on the shelves in the National Archives library. It's a comprehensive list of where each battery was stationed together with (particularly useful) a reference to the corresponding pay and muster lists.

I'm also thinking that his death could have occurred while he was still with the RA
    Since we can't find a service record in the usual place (WO97 on FMP), I would say it's very likely that he died in service.

Does anyone know if there is a way to check this possibility through army records?
    Pay and muster lists.

https://nationalarchives.gov.uk/recor...-1730-1898.htm

ajfeely

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    If Granville connected to your family I found this when looking yesterday!

HO107 856 3

George St Basford

CUTTS Samuel 35

CUTTS Hannah 30

BROOMHEAD Thomas 3

BROOMHEAD Granville 4 Mo all born county

BROOMHEAD Ann 15 not born county
    Yes, thanks, I believe this is the same family, Granville was the older brother of my great great grandfather. I too found this entry but it is confusing as the parents - Thomas and Sarah - are quoted as living in the same street. I don't know who Samuel and Hannah Cutts would be (Sarah's maiden name was Charlsworth). However, the entries for Thomas and Sarah and also the one for Samuel and Hannah occur at the bottom a page, with the Broomhead children at the top of another page. Its possible the two pages don't run on as indicated or it could also be that the children were staying with a neighbor on that particular night.

ajfeely

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    What you'll probably find useful is this book:

Battery records of the Royal Artillery 1716-1877 by M.E.S Laws, pub. Woolwich : Royal Artillery Institute, 1952

(two volumes - 1716-1859 and 1859-1877)

Inter-library loans should do the trick. They are on the shelves in the National Archives library. It's a comprehensive list of where each battery was stationed together with (particularly useful) a reference to the corresponding pay and muster lists.

Since we can't find a service record in the usual place (WO97 on FMP), I would say it's very likely that he died in service.

Pay and muster lists.

https://nationalarchives.gov.uk/recor...-1730-1898.htm

Thanks for the info - very useful. I'm currently living in the US - do you know if the book you mentioned would be available internationally - do interlibrary loans work that way? I've never tried.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by ajfeely View Post
    Yes, thanks, I believe this is the same family, Granville was the older brother of my great great grandfather. I too found this entry but it is confusing as the parents - Thomas and Sarah - are quoted as living in the same street. I don't know who Samuel and Hannah Cutts would be (Sarah's maiden name was Charlsworth). However, the entries for Thomas and Sarah and also the one for Samuel and Hannah occur at the bottom a page, with the Broomhead children at the top of another page. Its possible the two pages don't run on as indicated or it could also be that the children were staying with a neighbor on that particular night.
    All the pages seem to be numbered sequentially, i.e 11/12/13 & 13-14 15-16 16-17

janbooth

Jane,

If you are interested in Frederick's siblings, there is a Family Tree on Ancestry for Thomas & Sarah BROOMHEAD. This shows that Mary Ann BROOMHEAD married a Tom William ANDERSON on 31 December 1874 in Lincolnshire and includes a photograph of her and her husband - lovely to put some flesh on the bones! It shows marriages & children, where relevant, and deaths for all the children of Thomas & Sarah and importantly does show sources! Hopefully, it should fill in even more information for you on his siblings, although unfortunately not on Frederick himself. I'm guessing the owner of the Tree is descended from Mary Ann BROOMHEAD & her husband because they have photographs of them - perhaps worth contacting the owner??

My husband and myself went to Belgium a few years ago to try to follow through his grandfather's WW1 experiences - he was in the Sherwood Foresters - and it was an incredibly humbling experience. So many people killed on both sides and in reality for so little! We had already visited some of the Normandy WW2 cemeteries and museums and that experience brought us to tears, so many fatalities and so young.

The Tree has Frederick dying in Durham in 1881, but it is the one record with no date and no sources, wouldn't you just know it!

Hope this helps anyway

Janet

Reputation beyond repute

do you know if the book you mentioned would be available internationally
    Haven't a clue. The book alone might be some use but it would be of most value if you also have access to the pay and muster records. Perhaps you could commission some research.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12