Cornhill

Default searching for Information on MBE Award

I am the last surviving relative of John Richardson Stuart. He worked for the War Office in Nicosia as a civil engineer. He was awarded an MBE in 1957 for his work for the War Office. I wrote to The Central Chancery of the Order of the Knighthood, but they don't have records of why an individual is given an award. I wonder if anyone out there could shed some light re why he received his MBE. He lived in Worthing and died on 6th December, 1984. Any info would be appreciated

strawberrymivvy

I'm also interested in responses to this, my great grandfather was awarded the MBE, possibly for services to mining welfare, and like you I've been unable to find out exactly why

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Googling brings up the Government website about the honours system.
    https://www.gov.uk/honours/types-of-honours-and-awards

It says the MBE "is awarded for a significant achievement or outstanding service to the community. An MBE is also awarded for local ‘hands-on’ service which stands out as an example to other people."

I would think that your best way of accessing further information would be to check the local newspapers circa the time of the announcement of the award. If I remember correctly awards are announced on New Year's Eve/Day, and for the Queen's official birthday in June.

There might also be a mention of 'why' in an obituary.

Pam

Reputation beyond repute

You can glean something from the section the award was in as listed in The Times and the London Gazette.

Knowledgeable and helpful

I think there have been changes in the way the recipients of the award have been selected from the dates of interest indicated, and so be cautious about using current criteria and applying them to older awards. Contemporary newspapers seem the best bet. pwholt

Philippa_Harvey

My OH has an MBE and along with the medal he received a certificate signed by the Queen which I'm pretty sure includes the citation. (He's sleeping at the moment so I can't check). Do you have access to anything that belonged to John Stuart - papers, things which he may have packed away and stored as valuable? A forgotten trunk in the attic would be a wonderful bonus for you right now. I believe there's a chapel in St James' which holds or displays the names of all recipients, but I've never seen it so I don't know if it's just names or if there are any details given. It would be a shame if the certificate didn't survive, it's a lovely "document" and really worth preserving. Good luck with your search - sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Knowledgeable and helpful

I received an MBE a few years ago and from that I can tell you that though I know the general reasons for the award, I did not see the citation that the person who recommended me wrote. From speaking to others who also received the award, it seems standard practice for that citation to remain private in most cases, and so often all you are told is the award was “for your services to nursing” or something similar. Consequently that’s all the newspapers are likely to say too.

I suspect it may be quite tricky to locate the actual citation.
    ELWYN

strawberrymivvy

Thank you so much for this, Elwyn - now we know! Though I still haven't even managed to track down a newspaper article about it either - a job for today!

LynA

My father in law received an MBE in 1942. I had given up on finding a citation but found a typewritten sheet in a dusty basket in the loft of his old house just before it was sold. This sheet was a memo to him telling him the reason for his award.
    Don't give up. Someone in the family may have the vital information filed away.
    Good luck with your search.