dona10

Default Roberts Bridgend Wales

Thomas Roberts, b1823 Bridgend, D 1864 Glebe NSW Australia, F. William Roberts, M. Mary.
    Have Daughter Mary (born at sea), Sons William (Born Glebe Aust.) & Thomas (Born Aberdare Wales)
    looking for info on William & Mary.
    Thanks
    Don A

Hi
    I will post a little background on Thomas to help in the search
    1851 HO107 Piece 2460 Folio 269 Page 78
    Thomas age 27 a carpenter is with his brother David and family in Aberdare. Also with them is their sister Ann age 23. All three of them born Bridgend Glamorgan.
    Thomas and his wife, Sarah Ann nee Jones went to Sydney in 1857. So not together on a census in Wales.

Because this is a research question I have moved it from Surname Interests to the Glamorgan forum

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

dona10

Thanks, Christina

Regards
    Don

janbooth

Don,

It looks as if the parish register entries of both Thomas & his brother David are on FindmyPast website under the surname ROBERT at Coity as are the banns of William & Mary ROBERT in 1814.

This looks as if it could be William ROBERT in the 1841 census of Coity (HO107/1422/8, folio 5, page 2) judging by his profession which is the same as on the baptismal records of David & Thomas:

William ROBERT 55 Carpenter J Born in county y
    Ann do 35 n
    Robert do 20 Carpenter J y
    Thomas do 17 do y
    Ann do 13 y
    Richard do 8 y
    Elizabeth do 6 y
    Catherine do 3 y
    John do 6 months y

If this is your William, it seems that he may have married again. FindmyPast also has a burial record for a Mary ROBERT in 1836 and the GRO Index has a marriage in the September qtr 1838 at Bridgend reg district for a William ROBERT to either an Anne EVAN or an Ann DAVID which could be relevant to you.

FindmyPast is a pay per view site, so I am afraid I cannot give you full details of any of the records held by them, but you could take out a pay per view sub to access the parish records that prove relevant to you.

Janet

dona10

Hi Janet
    Thanks for the tips,
    I was in Bridgend this time last year, I was shown a re covered book relating to trades men of the era, The book showed a carpenter "Robert"
    It was not until I looked at the details on Find my past that I could see how easily names can change, by the tail on the "t" being left short or long. Thanks for your help.
    Regards
    Don