Gentleman

Default James GOURLAY and Mary/Marion CRICHTON

Hello
    I hope someone can point me in the right direction for my research.

4 Jan 1794 James Gourlay a Chaise Driver in Pleasance married Marion Crichton daughter of Peter Crichton at St Cuthbert, Midlothian, Scotland.

26 Jan 1794 (22 days later) Peter Gourlay was born - father James a gentleman's son and mother Mary Crighton.

I don't know if other children were born to this couple. I don't know when or where they died.
    Marion Crighton was born in 1772. I would guess James Gourlay was born about 1770. James' birthplace is also unknown.

I am hoping that someone knows some possibilities for the parents of James. I would appreciate it if you could tell me of any families that suit this information: a son James born about 1770 and the father is a gentleman.

Gourlay is spelled many different ways on Peters records, but Gourlay is the way it has been spelled in my family for the last four generations. 8 Sep 1864 Peter Gourley died in lanarkshire aged 74 married to Agnes Lamond mother Mary Chrichton and father ___ Gourley, a coachman as given by Peter's son John Gourley.

Thank you for any direction.

Sincerely
    Irene

Hallo Irene, and a very warm welcome to British Genealogy. I have copied your post to a thread of its own in the Scotland Forum, rather than have it tagged on to an old thread about the much earlier Norman period.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids