theseus

Default Lieutenant-Commander John Marshall Glaser

John Marshall Glaser was my father and was killed in a flying accident out of Ford Airfield on 19th May, 1953.
    I have very basic information on his service history and only 3 photographs. I know that he served on HMS Hermes, HMS Formidable and HMS Fencer during WW2 and HMS Theseus and HMS Eagle subsequently. If anyone has records of anyone else h.e may have served with I would really like to hear from you

Welcome to British-Genealogy theseus

Your father's records are still held by the Ministry of Defence and this site explains how to apply for them and just what paperwork you will need.

You will have seen this but just in case https://en.ww2awards.com/person/51151

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

theseus, as you've posted this in a naval section I presume your father was in the Navy rather than the army in which case you need to have a read of the Royal Navy section here.
    Especially
    Prior to 1972 Royal Naval personnel were given their service records on discharge. Only pay details were kept for Pension purposes. Therefore the only information held on RN personnel who served prior to 1972 is their Service details (number, rank, name etc) and a list of dates and ships/shore bases
    Whether there will be more because he was an officer I don't know.

If you want to get in touch with his old ship-mates (for want of a better description ) have you tried somewhere like Forces Reunited?

Though as according to Christina's well-found link, your father was a pilot perhaps his records are held by the RAF? Might be worth contacting the Naval service records office just to confirm. (Or probably one of our more knowledgeable forum members will know.)

Pam

theseus

Thank you so much for your help. I will follow up all your suggestions.