Thread: help please

bobbi1103

Default help please

im tryin to find my grandads military records but gettin nowhere fast
    I would appreciate help or advice to steer me in right direction if possible

my grandad was a gunner in royal navy in ww2 im told but i cant find his name on any search i do
    He was born in ireland but im mentioning that incase it has any bearing on the searches i need to do

Im probably doin things worng as im new to this which is why i need help.....thanx

The MOD has not released WW2records for online use yet. See the message at the top of this forum on WW2 for information on how relatives can buy a copy.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello bobbi1103,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

The MoD still retain service records for WW2 personnel, so you have to apply to them. See here for a little more information.

However because you're talking Royal Navy, I would advise you to read this guide as well. Especially note
    Prior to 1972 Royal Naval personnel were given their service records on discharge. Only pay details were kept for Pension purposes. Therefore the only information held on RN personnel who served prior to 1972 is their Service details (number, rank, name etc) and a list of dates and ships/shore bases.

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by bobbi1103 View Post

my grandad was a gunner in royal navy in ww2
    Hello bobbi,
    Do you know if he was a RN (DEMS) gunner attached to Merchant Navy ships or attached to warships if the former I may be able to help you, if the latter you will need to go down the road of service records.

Regards
    Hugh

bobbi1103

mum got it wrong first time....he was actually in merchant navy and was a gunner. Due to her age, she gets confused but she is definate now that it was merchant navy he was in and he definately was a gunner......thanks for any help you could give as this is drivin me nuts

Hello bobbi,
    Over 150,000 Merchant Seamen were trained as Merchant Seamen Gunners during WW2. They were part of gun crews and assisted RN and Army DEMS gunners at action stations.
    The records you need would be his Seaman's Pouch from BT 372 and his CRS 10 from BT 382, there may be others, which are held at the National Archives Kew. If you wish to supply his full name, date and place of birth I can point to the actual files you need if you are not familiar with Merchant Navy records.

Regards
    Hugh