Default Possible name of regiment.

Hi, I have found my relative- a Walter John Spain enlisted in 1916 as a Gunner. On his enlistment form he answers he has previously served and the best I can make of the letters he scrawled were as follows - 1 st B#RWLR and cites 5 years service? Anyone please have any ideas- he was a Kent man which I know means little in terms of regiments but it locates him. Thanks so much. Laurence

apowell

Hi,

This is an educated guess but I think it could be the 1st Volunteer Battalion Royal West Kent Regiment and they recruited around the Maidstone area and the Regimental barracks was in Maidstone.

Royal West Kent Regiment
    By the time the Territorial Force was created in 1908, the suburban area of West Kent had been transferred to the County of London, so the 2nd and 3rd Volunteer Battalions became the 20th (County of London) Battalion (Blackheath and Woolwich) in the new London Regiment. The 4th Volunteer Battalion was disbanded, and the 1st VB was formed into the 4th and 5th Battalions of the QORWK in the Kent Brigade of the TF's Home Counties Division.

Regards
    Adrian

apowell

Hi,

It would be useful to find Walter on the 1911 census but I've had no luck.

Regards
    Adrian

Thank you so much for your input. Laurence

Thank you too for advice. Laurence