DavidWP

Default William Harry Phillips Service no 13021361

I am trying to trace my fathers WWII army service record.
    I believe he originally served with The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) although born & bred in Portsmouth.
    There is a photo of him with Scottish lads wearing a Balmoral hat.I think later he served with The Essex Regiment in the middle east /Italy & Germany as his medals confirm that.
    I have recent acquired an old postcard with a photo of a group of soldiers at Clacton on sea.
    on the back it states 'Pte H W Phillips 13021361 1 section B Compound AMPC'
    His name was actually William Harry. I think that AMPC was a training camp(?)

Any assistance greatly appreciated!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello David,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

The MoD still hold WW2 service records. See here for a little more information plus a link to the forms you need to send when applying for the records.

Pam

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

His service number indicates he originally joined - (Royal) Pioneer Corps 13000001 - 14000000
    As Pam said, getting his service records will answer everything.
    AMPC - Auxiliary Military Pioneer Corps

regards
    Robert

DavidWP

Thanks for the responses.I have applied for his service records from MOD.He never mentioned the Pioneer Corps.. or Clacton on Sea come to that! but like a lot of men who served & lost comrades never talked about the war.I did put The Essex Regiment on the forms so lest hope they can find some records.

David - did you fill out the forms overnight? If so, have you enclosed a copy of the death certificate with them? Don't send the original (unless you asked for several copies when the death was registered). I would assume that photocopies of the original are acceptable.

Pam

DavidWP

I understood that a death certificate is NOT required if you are a next of kin and sign the necessary declaration. The forms are in the post now so If they do require a copy I guess they will contact me.Thanks for the help & guidanace

Quote Originally Posted by DavidWP View Post
    I understood that a death certificate is NOT required if you are a next of kin and sign the necessary declaration. The forms are in the post now so If they do require a copy I guess they will contact me.Thanks for the help & guidanace
    I was fairly certain that a death certificate was required, but you made me doubt myself so I've just re-read the form.
    It definitely says you need to send a copy of the death certificate as well as the Application Part 1 form and a cheque for £30.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...n_part2_1_.pdf
    So expect to be contacted.

Pam
    who really must get her forms sent off

DavidWP

Thank you for attention to this matter.
    The top of Part 1 of the forms states that a Death certificate is not required if you are next of Kin.But you are quite right its is stuck on the end of Part 2 as a requirement!! Oh, well wait & see what happens..thanks again!

DavidWP

I have received my fathers War Records...never knew how many postings etc he had ! Well worth the effort & wait.(3 months)
    Thanks team for all your help!

Wow, that was much quicker than I expected, David. Though possibly the fact that you knew some details about your father's army career might have helped (depends whether the MoD file things purely in alpha order, or in alpha order within regiments, or numerical order, or . . . . . whatever )

Thank you for the update, and I'm so pleased that you thought it time and money well invested.

Pam