MabelE

Default Why a Military Medal was awarded

I have been trying to find out why my Grandfather was awarded the Military Medal in WW1. I have copies of the medal card and London Gazette entry but cannot find anything further. I visited the Imperial War Museum and a member of staff there informed me copies of citations were not kept, originals were given to the solider, so it is very unlikely we will every find out. Is this correct or does anyone know where I might be able to go with my search?

They suggested visiting the National Archive and requesting to see the Battalion War diaries.

Thank you

That's pretty much the advice you'll get here, although you don't have to physically go to TNA, you can check on line, and buy a download. Sadly, even the War Diaries rarely contain details. One thing you could try is to check his local newspaper - sometimes there's a mention.

A fountain of knowledge

Usually citations were also published in the London Gazette, we have not seen more than handful of the 115,500+ MMs mentioned in any more than one line (i.e. a heading stating the following have been awarded.....................).

Friends at the Western Front association told me some time ago that some were awarded for real individual acts of gallantry and others as a 'morale boost' to a certain number from each regiment, to be picked by that regiments CO etc etc, so the 'spread' of medal awards was across (non commissioned) ranks and sporadic to say the least.

I'd agree a war diary is the best bet although in my experience few will mention anyone other than officers and those usually only for transfers or KIA.