Quirky

Smile Saying hello from Quirky ..... in Australia

As a retired Aussie ex-serviceman then businessman I am continuing my family history research on "my line" of Quirk's who, starting on the isle of Man, moved to Liverpool in the late 1700's to join the ship-building trade. The family seemed to exist well until downturns in business: timber ships...slaving ...corn...and "banking processes" ... saw the family go into insolvency and thence bankruptcy. The action firstly against one family within a linked group of many, had to sell of investments and then face loss of homes and bankruptcy, through into the late 1800's.
    My difficult task was to trace the the "progress" of these financial failures across the IOM, The Wirrel and Bromborough in Cheshire, to Liverpool and (as the larger family dispersed) to family branches now re-settled in the US, Canada, OZ and elsewhere, well distant from their early roots on The Isle of Man.
    Like many this period of heightened period of interest in the impact of WW1and later, I have sought to particularly cover family members of "our" Quirk's who have been more directly impacted by War and all its consequences.
    I am seeking to learn and clear some of my missing links via these forums ...thanks for the Welcome

Welcome to British-Genealogy Quirky

You did have a very windy path following your ancestors travels and tribulations.

Our members just love getting to work on pesky ancestors who have left us few clues. Sometimes I feel my lot did it deliberately just to get at me personally.

Take a look around the forums then post away and we will see if the 'lost' ancestor can be uncovered.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Quirky

Christanel,
    Sorry I have composed a reply to you but it refuses to send to you, keeps requiring me to sign in afresh and at next attempt also rejects.
    Hope this goes at least as an apology to you....Quirky