Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Well, it would seem that despite signatures appearing on my GRO certificates appearing to be in a different hand/written by a different person there is no doubt that they are NOT the signatures of the people concerned and are the handwriting of one person.

I accept the above as so many have confirmed it to be so, but it doesn't explain why the 'signatures' are (to me) clearly by different people and not one person writing the different names out.

Quote Originally Posted by AudreyF View Post
    Well, it would seem that despite signatures appearing on my GRO certificates appearing to be in a different hand/written by a different person there is no doubt that they are NOT the signatures of the people concerned and are the handwriting of one person.

I accept the above as so many have confirmed it to be so, but it doesn't explain why the 'signatures' are (to me) clearly by different people and not one person writing the different names out.
    Any reply would be pure supposition, but to provide more accurate supposition we would have to know whether the English certificate was a handwritten copy of the entry of a scan/photocopy of the entry.

If it was a handwritten copy :

The clerk may have being trying to match the original signature as close as possible. (Doubtful but possible.)

The clerk may have had a problem reading a signature and passed it on for a second clerk to complete.

The clerk may have left part the way through completing the entry and returned after a break feeling more relaxed or energetic.

It is even possible the clerk was not confident with spelling the names and had to keep checking with the original master copy.

Or they could be even be someone like me who produces a different signature every time I sign.

Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Hmm! Lots of possible and plausible explanations there. Is it possible to determine whether I am looking at a handwritten copy or a scanned/photocopy version?

Quote Originally Posted by AudreyF View Post
    Hmm! Lots of possible and plausible explanations there. Is it possible to determine whether I am looking at a handwritten copy or a scanned/photocopy version?
    One way is to look at the certificate, is the information surrounded by a coloured box (green for marriages, red for births) rather than a black box? If so it is likely to be a handwritten copy.
    If the box is black it is a copy generated from a digital image of the transcribed register.
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

The first, Irish, marriage certificate is all in black. The second, English, certificate is green except for the box around the details. The box itself is black. So, that clears things up. Thank you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12