Thread: Hi

Starting to feel at home

Default Hi

Researching for own enjoyment and so I have more to pass on to my children more than came down to me. Mind you I didn't ask until it was too late and computing and the internet were barely conceived at that time and life was so much more difficult for previous generations.

I make use of other peoples research but ultimately believe little and need to check and check again every last detail. It's the journey that's important for me not the accumulation of names. Understanding the lives of my ancestors is the objective which, given all my interest is with British records, is why Dickens' writing appeals.

I am not prepared to publish to the wider world at this stage; not until it is sufficiently complete - and accurate! - and my family gets to see it first. In 12 years of spasmodic research I've found far too many published trees that have, being polite, made an error or, being blunt, are rubbish. Cheers

Welcome to the forum

Ask away and hopefully the members will be able to help you with your research

Welcome lennythelemur

I agree with everything you have written. There are too few of us who ask the questions when we are young and that is natural I suppose.

Double checking others info should probably be number 1 on any genealogist's list but unfortunately many tales can be told of impossibilities existing on trees out in the public domain. Of course it is always the most obvious mistakes that hit one in the eye whilst the less obvious need to be ferreted out.

Your children and grandchildren will appreciate all your efforts when they develop an interest in genealogy and may even be able to check and add to the tree as more and more information becomes available online.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs