kevh1980

Default 10th county of london battalion hackney

Hi All,

My first post and im looking for information on a regiment that my great great grandfather was enlisted with, his name was William James Hurst and was killed in battle according to a memorial I found on the 21 Jun 1917.

I am interested to find out about what activity his regiment would have been involved in at this time in order to try to find out more about how he died.

Any assistance would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Kevin

Reputation beyond repute

London Regiment. Don't leave that out.

See also the Commonwealth War Graves site which says it was the 2/10th battalion (the 1/10th battalion was fighting in Egypt, Palestine ans Syria).

You could examine the battalion war diary to find out what the battalion was up to.

Search for it in the National Archives catalogue in series WO95

https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C7355127

Reputation beyond repute

London Regiment.
    The Rifle Brigade, from 1916.

kevh1980

Ok they were known as the rifle brigade from 1916, thats interesting, strangely my great grandfathers grave is in france and he died on the 24th June 1917. Does the location of the grave bare any significance to the possible site of death ? excuse my ignorance but it seems strange why his regiment were in Palestine if he died and was buried in France ? maybe he was in hospital following injury and could not travel with his unit ?

N.B for some reason the memorial holds a different date of death to the CWGC website

Reputation beyond repute

It was the 1/10th battalion that was in Egypt, Palestine and Syria. I believe your man was in the 2/10th battalion (see the CWGC site) which was on the Western Front (see the National Archives catalogue).

The London Regiment officially ceased to exist in 1916 (although the name persisted for many purposes)

The 10th (County of London) Battalion, The London Regiment (Hackney) was raised in 1912 and officially transferred to the Rifle Brigade in 1916. Don't be surprised that he was still shown as in the London Regiment in 1917.

I think you'll find the war diary interesting (link given in message #2)

kevh1980

Thanks a lot for your help - will download the diary tonight ... cant wait