Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ann255

Default Why can't I find them

Why cannot I find any details of my ancestor Ernest George Garrity (b1895) on the site. In Ancestry.Co.Uk I have found in British Army WW1 service records 1914/1920 an attestation document for him. It is for the Territorial Force, Corps RE, and dated February 1915.

I have also been unable to find any info. on my father, uncle and several other relaltives who served in the 2nd WW.

I know that all of these men I have been searching for survived.

Brick wall demolition expert!

60 percent of all WW1 records were destroyed during the Blitz.

The MoD has not released service records after 1920, so you have to apply directly to the MoD.

ann255

Thank you that explains why I have been unable to find WW2 info. However as I found something on Ancestry, I would at least have expected to find the same attestation document for Ernest G Garrity.

Reputation beyond repute

There's a lot more than just an attestation document for your man among the burnt documents on Ancestry!

The records belong to the National Archives and Ancestry are their contractual partners for series WO363 and WO364. Have you read the National Archives guidance?

ann255

Have had a quick browse of National Archives, but cannot really find out how to searche it. You seem to suggest in your response that there are definitely more documents for my ancestor. Can you guide me as to how to access the records, am a complete novice to the N Archive site. Thankyou.

Famous for offering help & advice

Hello ann255. Welcome to BritGen!

I think you've only looked at the first page of Ernest George Garrity's records - page 60195? There is more (ends page 60223). What an interesting man! Awarded the Military Medal and taken POW in 1918.

As Peter says, Ancestry have the monopoly on the WW1 Service Records - but you really are very lucky to have an ancestor so easily traced!

For the WW2 records, contact (and pay!) the MOD.

Jane

Reputation beyond repute

Jane has explained. You should be able to find the announcement of his Military Medal in the London Gazette.

If you're new to the National Archives web site, the "Find guidance" button on the home page is a good place to start.

Brick wall demolition expert!

I am wondering if you are asking how you access the whole record on Ancestry?

If that is the case:

On the results page you should see a record as part of the "British Army WWI Service Records, 1914-1920"

If you click on that it will take you to a slightly large view of the record summary. The next thing is to click on "view original image", which is on the right hand side of the page.

That takes you to the first page of the original document. At the bottom of the page and in the centre you will see two triangles : one a left arrow and one a right arrow. In between these you will see:

60195 of 123347

These are page numbers.

Click on the right arrow to page turn through his record.

The last page of his record is 60223.

You may think that some of the pages are blanks or duplicates or tatty, or dirty, but that's just how the records are, as almost all documents were damaged during the Blitz, either by being singed or soaked by the fire fighters.

I hope this helps, but if this is not what you were asking and want other help let us know.

ann255

Thank you Jane and Megan. I am now feeling rather foolish. When I found the Ancestry record I only saw 2 pages in the images. It never occurred to me that there were more there. What interesting reading, am really delighted and now of course want to find out much more. Whilst I have been doing my family tree for some while, have not really ventured into military records (had an agent do some research for me ages ago at Kew). Have been trying to find in the London Gazette, the edition that mentions his award of Military Medal (dated 16th July 1917) but I am obviously not doing it right and cannot come up with anything. I am also wondering if there is any way I can find out more about the theatre of war he was wounded in, and also about his time as a prisoner of war.
    I would really appreciate some guidance here, I am finding some of these searchsites very difficult to navigate.

Reputation beyond repute

I think this is your man in the London Gazette -

Publication date: 12 July 1918 Supplement: 30797 Page: 8317
    540932 Sjt E G Garrity RE (Rochester)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast