Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bain85

Default Identifying Army Uniform

I was wondering if anyone with knowledge of military uniform could help me out? I have a pic of my great grandfather from around 1906 in his army uniform. I am having difficulty trying to find his military record that I can corroborate as him. He was based at the barracks in Tipperary around the time this was taken but I am not sure what regiment I suspect possibly east lancashire regiment as he was from Bolton. Which would make sense. I believe he served in world war 1 but was sent home after suffering with his lungs after being gassed. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    undefined

Welcome to British-Genealogy Bain85

I can't help with identifying the uniform (others will) but may be able to find some information on your grandfather if you give us his details. Name, date of birth, parent's and wife's name, anything that will help identify him.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Bain85

Hi Christina

Thanks for the quick reply. His name was Frederick William catlow and he was born march 1886 in Bolton England. His parents were William catlow and Kate McCormick although she emigrated to America in the 1890s. He married Margaret hogan in sept 1906 and he must have been stationed to Tipperary barracks Ireland the same year, close to when this pic was taken. As I say I am not sure what regiment he was in to be posted there. I guess they stayed at tipperary barracks until his deployment in the First World War as they married in tipperary and all his children were born there. I have just not been able to pin point any documents which is odd as I have been able to find documents for another relative who also served in the war. If you could help or point me in the right direction that would be great

Many thanks

Andrea

A fountain of knowledge

The uniforms badges are very indistinct when I zoom in unfortunately.
    It looks like a police uniform at 1st glance (whistle seems to imply this too?) and I know the barracks was used by the Police in any case in 1906.

That being said the Worcester regiment were there at the same time, -although many men did go into local regiments (the pals battalions etc being the most famous) this tended to be only those who volunteered straight at the start of the war, men after 1915 can & did go into any regiment as & where needed.

I will go with my 1st guess however and state I think this is a police uniform and would certainly explain why no military record has been found.

Bain85

Hi

Yes that might possibly explain why I cannot find anything. But the family have always said he wa in the army and he did have some kind of war medal but one his grandsons took it to school one day and he lost it unfortunately. Which is a real shame. I did check the list of regiments that were stationed at Tipperary barracks and there was east lancashire regiment in 1906. I will have to have another look. Worcester regiment seems a little unlikely to me only because he was not connected to that area at all and this pic was taken in 1906 on his 21st birthday

Many thanks
    Andrea

Bain85

Hi Christina

Just wondered if you had managed to find anything in the records for frederick William catlow? I have not any luck so far

Many thanks
    Andrea

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

I see hes not at home with his wife and children in the 1911 census,,,,have you located him in the 1911 census? I cant see him,,,if he was a policeman,,i would expect to find him somewhere,,,if he was a soldier,,,he could be anywhere ?

Hello Andrea, the Grenade Badge on the uniform collar looks to be that of one of the following:

Royal Artillery
    Grenadier Guards
    Royal Engineers

Have you sent this photograph through to our Photo Experts for them to have a more detailed look for you?

If you could rescan the photograph you have at High Quality, they may then be able to count the flames on the grenade and then identify the Regiment.

It is not a Police Uniform, it is definitely Army.

the Photo Expert page is here:

https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/photo-expert

There are only 2 WW1 medal cards for Frederick Catlow.
    One was a Grenadier Guard, 31401 Pte. He seems to only have had the Victory medal, there's a line drawn through the space for references to the British.
    The other was 17836 AC/Sgt in the Princess Victoria's (Royal Irish Fusiliers), then G/107405 in the Middlesex (Duke of Cambridge's Own). He didn't have the 14/15 star, just the Victory and British.

SueNSW

No guarantee but a possibility is 7513 Fred Catlow - East Lancs Regiment - his service number ties in with enlistment in the second half of 1902.

He didn't go overseas with main part of the 2 regular battalions - 1st was at Colchester when war broke out and landed in Le Havre in August 1914 - whilst 2nd was in South Africa at outbreak - and came back to England before landing also at Le Havre in November 1914

Fred went to France/Flanders 14th July 1915 - so was entitled to the 1914/15 Star, so possibly stayed behind in England as an "old" soldier to help with training before possibly going out with a group of reinforcements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast