Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Welshexpat

Default SMITH - Wolverhampton

I realize that this is a long shot....but...looking for information on William Smith. The 1881 census records him at the Gas Yard Union, Mill St. Wolverhampton aged 45, place of birth Hampton Staffs.

Wilkes_ml

What sort of information do you already have, and what sort of information do you want? How did you get to him in 1881 i.e. what documents led you to that entry, as there are going to be loads of William Smiths in that area....I know, as I found my George Smith there in 1881, but finding his death certificate wasn't easy ( his age was 10 years our!)

Welshexpat

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkes_ml View Post
    What sort of information do you already have, and what sort of information do you want? How did you get to him in 1881 i.e. what documents led you to that entry, as there are going to be loads of William Smiths in that area....I know, as I found my George Smith there in 1881, but finding his death certificate wasn't easy ( his age was 10 years our!)
    Thank you for your prompt response.

This, I know, is a long shot, in fact I wasn't going to post for information.

The information came from a distant relative, now deceased, living in the area. The only additional information I have is that his wife's name was Elizabeth, his occupation Iron Moulder and that there were eight children.

I'm looking for his date of birth (not sure where Hampton is) parents, wife's surname

Wilkes_ml

Wolverhampton is just north west of Birmingham in Staffordshire, and the registration district would be Wolverhampton as it is a large place. Staffordshire is in the West Midlands, just to the east of Wales.

I belive the birth place given as "Hampton" is probably an abbreviation of Wolverhampton, and not an actual place in Staffordshire.

Does he have family with him on the 1881 census? If there is, then you may be able to follow him backwards throug the census or find a marriage for him if he has children.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

RG 9 1994 7 10

20 Gas House Green
    SMITH William 25
    SMITH Elizabeth 23
    SMITH Sarah A 5
    SMITH Harriet 3
    SMITH Alfred 1

1881 Free on line at subscription sites
    RG11 2803 25 12

Gas Yard Union Mill St Wolverhampton

SMITH William 45 Moulder Iron
    SMITH Elizabeth 43
    SMITH Alfred 21 Boatman
    SMITH Jane 17 Factory Hand
    SMITH Mary A 14 unemployed
    SMITH William 11 scholar
    SMITH Annie 8
    SMITH Edward 5
    SMITH Joseph 3

All born W.Hampton Staffs ( Wolverhampton)

RG13 2681 167 22

33 Moore Street (west Wolverhampton)

SMITH William 45 Door Hinge Moulder Wolverhampton
    SMITH Elizabeth 43
    SMITH James 19 Son Iron works Gen lab
    SMITH William 24 grandson Iron Works gen lab

Try Freebmd.org.uk for birth marriage & death

Wilkes_ml

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post

RG13 2681 167 22

33 Moore Street (west Wolverhampton)

SMITH William 45 Door Hinge Moulder Wolverhampton
    SMITH Elizabeth 43
    SMITH James 19 Son Iron works Gen lab
    SMITH William 24 grandson Iron Works gen lab

Try Freebmd.org.uk for birth marriage & death
    Is this the same family as William & Elizabeth seem to have not aged in 20 years!

janbooth

The best way to find out his wife's surname is to purchase the birth certificate of one of their children. However, because SMITH is such a common surname you would need to specify the father's name on your request. I have looked through the GRO birth registrations, but there is always more than one possibility for each child. There are also several possibilities for William's marriage. The SMITH surname is a nightmare to research as I know to my cost, my mother's maiden name being SMITH, and trying to find George son of John, son of John, etc. etc. has proved an interesting task!

1871 census of Wolverhampton (RG10/2938, folios 108/9, pages 10/11):

Gas Yard
    Willm SMITH Head Mar 35 Hinge Caster Stafford Wolverhampton
    Elizabeth do Wife Mar 33 do do
    Sarah Ann do Daur 15 do do
    Harriet do Daur 13 do do
    Alfred do Son 11 do do
    Ellen do Daur 9 do do
    Jane do Daur 7 do do
    Mary A do Daur 4 do do
    Willm do Son 1 do do

Ancestry Select Marriages shows the marriage of a William SMITH & Elizabeth OSBORN on 12 August 1855 at Wolverhampton (Elizabeth shown as HOSBORN) and the GRO Index does show the birth registration of an Elizabeth OSBORN in the December qtr 1837 at Wolverhampton which therefore fits with the age & place of birth shown for Elizabeth SMITH in the census records, so does seem a likely candidate, but it is difficult to be certain without other corroborative evidence. This marriage does not seem to appear on the GRO Index which again complicates matters for you.

This could perhaps be a possibility for your William in the 1851 census of Wolverhampton (HO107/2019, folio 213, page 12):

Old Mile Street
    James SMITH Head Mar 43 Thumb & Latch Maker Stafford Wolverhampton
    Mariah do Wife Mar 42 Salop Wellington
    James do Son U 18 Pudler Stafford Wolverhampton
    William do Son U 15 Caster Iron do do
    Thomas do Son U 12 do do do
    Edward do Son U 9 do do
    Alfred do Son 7 do do
    Maria do Daur 5 do do
    Emily do Daur 2 do do

But again without any corroborative evidence it is difficult to be certain.

Janet

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    T):

This marriage does not seem to appear on the GRO Index which again complicates matters for you.

Janet
    Q3 1855 Wolverhampton 6B 496 contains both Elizabeth OSBORN & William SMITH.

janbooth

Thanks Mitch - how did I miss that!

Janet

LittleSpark

wolverhamptonhistory.org shows the following under Wolverhampton & District Churches - Marriages 1834-1903:-

Elizabeth Osborn, Single, aged 18 living at Berry St. Father - Henry a Hinge Maker - married William Smith 13th August 1855 at St. Peter's Church, by Banns.
    William Smith, Bachelor, a Caster aged 20 also living at Berry St. Father - James a Blacksmith.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast