Welshexpat

Default WORKMAN - Painswick

Looking for information on Richard and Hannah Workman nee Banks, married April 10th 1792 in Painswick.

janbooth

Are you seeking to go forwards, backwards or both with Richard & Hannah? Do you have details of the baptisms of their children? Hugh Wallis's IGI site has details of the baptisms of 6 children to this couple at Painswick. If you do not already have it, I can give you details of marriages for their 3 daughters at Painswick from the Gloucestershire FHS Marriage Index. Son Miles looks to be in Usk, Monmouthshire in the 1841-1891 census records, but I do not want to duplicate what information you already have. Gloucestershire FHS Burial Index has a burial for a Richard WORKMAN at Painswick on 6 March 1826, aged 70? and one for a Hannah WORKMAN at Painswick on 26 August 1822 of Shepscombe, aged 53. Let us know what information you already have and then we can proceed from there.

Janet

Welshexpat

Default Richard Workman

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    Are you seeking to go forwards, backwards or both with Richard & Hannah? Do you have details of the baptisms of their children? Hugh Wallis's IGI site has details of the baptisms of 6 children to this couple at Painswick. If you do not already have it, I can give you details of marriages for their 3 daughters at Painswick from the Gloucestershire FHS Marriage Index. Son Miles looks to be in Usk, Monmouthshire in the 1841-1891 census records, but I do not want to duplicate what information you already have. Gloucestershire FHS Burial Index has a burial for a Richard WORKMAN at Painswick on 6 March 1826, aged 70? and one for a Hannah WORKMAN at Painswick on 26 August 1822 of Shepscombe, aged 53. Let us know what information you already have and then we can proceed from there.

Janet
    Hello Janet,

Thanks for responding.

I'm looking to obtain information on the whole family and, if possible, go back. Miles is my GGGF, and I have fairly good records for him. I have Hannah's surname as Banks, but in the short time I'm beginning to discover that not all the information that has come through family oral tradition is accurate, so it may well be something else, I'd be interested in any information for her family or origin as well.

Best wishes

Ian

janbooth

Hi Ian,

Phillimore's Marriage Index of Painswick shows the marriage on 10 April 1792 of Richard WORKMAN & Hannah BANKS - no further information on either of them.

Hugh Wallis's IGI site shows the baptisms of the following children to Richard & Hannah at Painswick:

1 July 1792 Susannah WORKMAN
    30 April 1797 William WORKMAN
    15 September 1799 Olivia WORKMAN
    20 February 1803 Miles WORKMAN
    8 June 1806 Edwin WORKMAN
    14 August 1808 Ann WORKMAN

Four of these baptisms are also confirmed by Ancestry's Select Births & Christening records, namely Ann, William, Miles & Edwin.

Gloucestershire FHS Marriage Index 1800-37 shows the following marriages:

27 November 1815 at Painswick Susannah WORKMAN & William MONK
    16 March 1823 at Painswick Ann WORKMAN & William SMITH
    18 April 1824 at Painswick Olivia WORKMAN & Richard HOPKINS

Richard & Olive HOPKINS remain in Sheepscombe and are there through the census records, so you should be able to follow them through. Susannah & husband William MONK are in Sheepscombe in the 1851 census and by the 1861 census she has become a widow. Edwin WORKMAN is in the 1861 census of Long Ashton, Somerset together with son in law William MARSH & wife Charlotte, presumably Edwin's daughter.

William WORKMAN is in the 1851 census of Sheepscombe, Painswick married to a Sarah together with children Mary Ann, Caroline & Miles and is shown as a Quarryman.

I'm not having much luck finding baptisms for either Richard or Hannah at the moment, but will have a further look tomorrow for them.

Janet

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

janbooth

A possibility for the marriage of William WORKMAN is one to a Sarah SOLLORS on 30 June 1822 at St Mary de Lode, Gloucester (Gloucestershire FHS Marriage Index 1800-37). According to the FHS Baptismal Index 1813-37, they had 5 children all baptised at Sheepscombe:

Hannah baptised 9 November 1823
    William baptised 19 February 1826
    Mary Anne baptised 28 June 1828
    Selina baptised 3 July 1831
    Caroline baptised 19 July 1835

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Sarah SOLLORS hailed from Sheepscombe/Painswick because there are a whole raft of SOLLERS/SOLLARS/SOLLORS baptisms at Sheepscombe & Painswick on the Baptismal Index.

It looks as if Olive WORKMAN had a child before she married Richard HOPKINS as there is a baptism at Painswick on 24 February 1822 of a William WORKMAN son of Olive.

Still looking for baptisms for Richard & Hannah.

Janet
    Last edited by janbooth; 02-09-2014 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Mis-typing

janbooth

Richard WORKMAN does not appear to be native to Painswick/Sheepscombe. There are very few WORKMAN marriages at Painswick according to Phillimore's Marriage Index. There is one 13 February 1778 for a John COOK & Elizabeth WORKMAN and the only other one apart from Richard's is that of a Thomas HILLMAN & Elizabeth WORKMAN on 26 November 1793. There are, however, a great number of WORKMAN marriages at Bisley, only just down the road from Painswick/Sheepscombe including that of an Aaron WORKMAN to a Bridget RODWAY on 1 January 1770 and Aaron & Bridget turn up in Painswick having three children, i.e. Ann on 28 July 1776, James on 24 January 1779 and a John on 31 December 1780, so could they be connected to your Richard?

Janet

Welshexpat

Once again, many thanks for the material.

Cheers

Ian