barnie

Question TRACING MY GRANDFATHER

Hello, I am new to this site. I have searched for my grandfather, William Ernest Fletcher - regiment no. 175044 - Sapper (wagon repairs) - Royal Engineers. I found a listing that i thought was his but can't agree the regiment no. Also the listing I found referred to an insertion in the Jewry book. It's a very long book! and couldn't find what that meant. Didn't even realise he was a jew if that's what it means. Can anyone advise me please. Thanks. Barnie

Brick wall demolition expert!

This site is British Genealogy and Forces War Records.

That said where did you get the regimental number that you "can't agree"?

If someone changed regiments, their number would change.

Why not tell us what you know, and then maybe one of the forum members might be able to help you unravel your puzzle.

barnie

Hello Megan

Thank you for replying. I am looking an my grandfather's Certificate of Employment During the War and on that it states his regimental no. is 175044 Sapper. The regiment is R.E.C.M.E. and the unit looks like it is the 66th BG W Erecting Corps. Private from 4.8.14 to 27.7.16 and Sapper 27.7.16 to 3.6.19. Thanks for your help.

Reputation beyond repute

Are you saying that you know from other evidence in your possession that your grandfather was William Ernest Fletcher 175044 Royal Engineers? Or are you saying something else?

Please provide some more identifying details and we'll have a poke around for you.

barnie

Hello again. Yes that is correct. He was born in 1895 and died in 1962. Is that sufficient info for your research?

Reputation beyond repute

There's a medal index card on Ancestry and the National Archives site. That shows he was originally in the 6th South Staffordshire (this was a territorial battalion). The WR prefix to his Royal Engineers service number indicates Waterways and Railways.

I can't see any obvious sign of a surviving service record.

barnie

Thank you for your help.