Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Dowdy family, Norfolk

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone can help me with some information? I am looking for a Richard Dowdy who on the 24th of Dec 1807 Married Mary Neal at St Nicholas. Wells next the sea. Norfolk.
    On 30 Sep 1808 Richard and Mary had their only son James William Dowdy
    Richard Dowdy Died in 1809 Wells next the sea. Norfolk Aged 24
    I am looking for Richard's Birth I have looked at FreeREG for his baptism and have found two possible matches could anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks
    Michael

janbooth

Hi Michael,

The actual Archdeacon's Transcript image of their marriage doesn't give any obvious clues to Richard's parentage in that the witnesses were John NEALE & Susan COOKE.

I am assuming that the two baptisms you have found on FreeReg for Richard DOWDY are the two at Thornham. The actual images of the Archdeacon's Transcripts for both Thornham & Wells up to 1812 are available to view on Family Search's website. The only thing I can suggest is that you look through them to see if you can eliminate any of the possibilities. For example, you can track forward from the baptisms at Thornham to see if either or both Richard's died or married there before 1812. You could also look for any other DOWDY baptisms, marriages or burials at Wells to see if there could be a connection to your Richard there.

Janet

Growing old Disgracefully

9 Family Trees on Ancestry have his name as William James Dowdy with Richard Dowdy father and Mary Neal as mother. did he marry Mary Eagle.

So was he known as William his second name or is this someone else, as all records I have found he is James Dowdy no mention of william

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Dowdy family, Norfolk

Hello all,

Thank you all for you help, James Dowdy did marry Mary Eagle and he was born under the name James but when he got to Australia for some reason he started going by William, on his head stone it is James Dowdy so you do have the right family, I have tried going back through the family to find another connection the only thing I have found is that Mary Eagles mother is Ann Dowdy she married Thomas Eagle.
    Ann Dowdy had two brothers named Richard one born in 1780 and died in 1780 the one I think it might be was Richard Emms born in 1785 Death unknown.