Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    lauraathawes

It appears that this is quiet possibly John Hargan's death. I think there was another sibling a John Hargan, as on Walter Hargan's military records he records him as a brother, however I can't seem to find any record of him.

And Amelia married Herbert Hickman Glasscocks in 1869 at Rochford, Essex

Default Hargan / Hanna

I'm descended from John Hanna and have information on both Hanna and Hargan families. What is your connection ?

lauraathawes

I am not related to the Hanna/Hargan family but I am researching them for my friends mum who is really interested in where they came from but is not very computer literate!

Both the Hanna and Hargan familes originally come from Fermanagh. The Pitman's are from Somerset.

Which line of the Hargan's is your friend descended from ?

lauraathawes

I have the Hargan line as far back as John Hargan 1821 Fermanagh, I believe his father was William and he married Amelia Pittman, from John there direct line would be Francis George Hargan. I don't really have a lot more information than this as I have been struggling to research in Ireland

No I am same position.

Edward Armstrong Hanna (father John Hanna) and John Hargan joined the army at around the same time. They both came from Co Fermanagh. Records suggest from places not far apart. However here are slightly different spellings / versions of where they came from in different records, and the Irish records are not complete.

Edward Hanna married Amelia Pitman (from Horsington in Somerset). They had a son John Charles. The three of them and John Hargan went to S Africa. (Amelia was an army schoolmistress). Edward Armstrong Hanna was killed at the battle of Fish River in 1851.

Once back from S Africa, John Hargan and Amelia married. Although the marriage records say John Hargan's father was called William, in the muster rolls at Kew, when he enlisted, he gave his father's name as John.
    John Hargan died in 1864. Amelia married twice more. She continued as an schoolmistress.

Hope this helps.

lauraathawes

Thanks, this all tally's up with what I have found so far. I didn't know about the William/John part for John Hargan's father I'll make a note. You said that Amelia married twice after this I have her marrying Herbert Hickman Glasscock after John Hargan's death who was the other that she married.

Do you use the British Newpaper Archives?? I have found some interesting pieces on Walter Alfred Hargan around his arrest. I am happy to send them to you if you don't have access.

She married Edward Haskell in 1883.

Thank for the offer of the info on Walter Hargan, but I have seen the newspaper articles.

I exchanged letters with one of the Hargan family in the 1980s. but I can't remember whether it was Francis or Victor. I think Francis, but the letter is at my parents.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123