Default The missing Machine Gun Corps unit

Please can you help ...??? .... I've been searching for some time now to find any details about the last whereabouts of my Uncle :

Private Ernest Wood - 60252 - 40th Coy, Machine Gun Corps ( Infantry ). Formerly 45510 - Cheshire Regiment
    Died 21st March 1918.
    Remembered at Arras Memorial.

I have this info via CWGC and have already visited Arras to pay my respects, last year.

I understand that there is tremendous confusion as to records of the Machine Gun Corps due to the re-organisation in about 1916 and also the subsequent destruction during WW2 Blitz of Military records, but I can trace no more information as to the final days / location of this unit and him

Any assistance will be welcomed.

Topper

The Long Long Trail lists hundred of MGC Companies, but not 38, 39 or 40. However, Google Books turned up one of their frustrating snippet views from a book called "The Machine Gun Corps in Mesopotamia, 1914-1918" by Paul Knight which lists all 3 of them as being part of the 13th (Western) Division: GOC Major Gen Sir Stanley Maude.
    The 40th were part of the 40th brigade together with Battalions from the Royal Welch, Cheshires, South Wales Borderers, Wiltshires and Supply & Transport.
    There's accounts of their activities in Mesopotamia, but being a snippet, I can't read far enough to find out when they were moved back to Europe (as they must have been if he's on the Arras Memorial. I don't suppose you noticed if there were others from 40th?).
    If this Link HERE doesn't take you there, Google Book search on the title I gave you.

Lesley ; Thanks for that and for the prompt attention .... yes, it's a mystery trying to find these movements ...
    ..............from the photographs we took at Arras memorial, and from memory, we're pretty sure that names were listed A-Z and the plaque with E Wood's name is obviously to the end of some 3 - 4 columns, but it is / we are, unclear as to whether it is under a heading " Machine Gun Corps " However, below this list, starts another list, headed " Machine Gun Corps ( Cavalry )" so that is possible. This is in Bay 10.
    To help you locate the position of 40th MCG, I have discovered that on 25th March, 1918 ( about the same time as the death of E. Wood ) a Victoria Cross was awarded to Pte A H Cross ( died 23.11.1965 - buried in Sth London Cemetery ) - V C & M M - 40th Bttn M G C Infantry at Evillers, which obviously confirms the location.
    Thanks for you help so far and I will be delighted to hear if you can further.
    Regards Topper

Have you looked for the Company War Diary on The National Archives Site? I think that should be your next step. They might have kept the 40th Brigade together, so that might also be worth looking for.

Lesley :

Thanks again for that .. will keep you posted.

Regards Topper

Reputation beyond repute

Is this page any help?

https://www.1914-1918.net/40div.htm

Here is the war diary (WO 95/2601/5 ) ...

https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C7354263

Peter ;

Looks like you've the same idea as Lesley .. see above ... and thanks for the extra detail ... I'm going to download items shortly.

Regards and thanks again - Topper

Lesley & Peter

As promised, I downloaded the information you have advised ... many thanks ... distressing to discover the true horror of my Uncle's final days from those reports, but at the same time, a relief to know what actually happened .. it's difficult to comprehend what it must have been like.

My Uncle's youngest brother, my father, then aged 9, never ever knew Pte E Wood's fate, or even that of his other brother, Harold, who died 3/4 weeks later some 40 miles away with the Cheshire Regiment, aged 20........I'm still working on his history although I visited his grave in Caix some 3/4 weeks ago.

Thanks again ... Topper