Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Anyone recognise the cap badge?

Hi all

The two photos below are of my grandad and I believe he served in WWI. I have no information on his service at all! I'm guessing from the photos that was in the Army and I wondered if anyone knew what the cap badge was and if that might help me narrow things down at all.

His name was Alexander John Cattle, dob August 1895 in Islington (or might come under Holloway), London, died June 1982. I've tried just searching his name, but I'm not finding anything.

Thank you in advance
    Jackie

Starting to feel at home

Sorry, mis-typed his dob, it should be 1898 not 1895

A fountain of knowledge

Grenadier guards by the look of it, unusually I cannot even trace a medal card for this gent.
    I wonder if he reversed his christian names -although saying that I don't seem to have any luck searching for anyone called cattle which is very odd!

Starting to feel at home

Hmmmm, that is strange. Maybe he used an assumed name - although I don't know why he would?

Famous for offering help & advice

The Honourable Artillery Company cap badge is very similar, but I only know this through researching one particular individual. I'm not an expert, and there may be other things about the image/uniform which suggest a different regiment.

Arthur

I've found him in the 1911, when his age is given as 12, so he really was as young as he looks. I wonder whether his service period ran over into 1920+? Then his records wouldn't be online.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    I've found him in the 1911, when his age is given as 12, so he really was as young as he looks. I wonder whether his service period ran over into 1920+? Then his records wouldn't be online.
    Hi Lesley. I found the 1911 census records as well. I did wonder if he'd fibbed about his age to join up as he does look so young? Alternatively, you could be spot on that his service period ran over. Not that it's particulary relevant, but I know he got married in 1922 in Islington, London.

I guess that without any other information, this could be a dead end?

Jackie

What is his occupation on his marriage cert?

You can apply for "modern" (ie post 1920) service records. See the message HERE.
    It does cost money, of course, and I hear that they're bogged down in requests because the assorted anniversaries have sparked extra interest.

Starting to feel at home

I don't have the actual marriage cert. My great grandad was a removal contractor and grandad did have his own removal company, so I would hazzard a guess that he went into the family business when he left the forces. I think I might apply and see what records the MoD have got - nothing to lose and £30 is a small price to pay!

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by arthurk View Post
    The Honourable Artillery Company cap badge is very similar, but I only know this through researching one particular individual. I'm not an expert, and there may be other things about the image/uniform which suggest a different regiment.

Arthur
    Arthur - you might just be right!! I've just googled the cap badge and came across one that has a canon on it with a scroll underneath and I'm sure I've seen something like that. In fact, I think I have it somewhere in the house........... Looks like I'm turning the house upside down tomorrow looking for it!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast