Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ww1

Stanyard4

Default Ww1

Hi I have the records of my grandfather, who served in ww1, he survived although he was gassed, and for the rest of his life was never the same, his 2 brothers were killed in action, one named ralph who served in the machine gun corps, the other George who served in royal garrison artillery, i do have the photos of the graves and memorial, does anyone know how I can find out where on the battlefield they died, and how, and also who their medals were given to ,,, it should be nok but us married, and deceased parents I would love to find out more ... Any ideas please

Welcome to British-Genealogy

Could you give us the full names of the people you are asking about? Also their dates and places of birth?

As you will have read in the 'sticky' at the top of the WW1 forum 60% + of service records were destroyed in the bombing and fires of WW11 and I should think that it would only be in these personal records that any indication of medal recipients would be given. However I have seen the odd medal roll index card with some details written on the back. But to try and find the information you want we need more details.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Stanyard4

Ralph Whalley born in pilsley chesterfield joined sherwood foresters and served in machine gun corps as a gunner he was
    Killed in action on the 27/03/1918 don't know what battle that was
    George Whalley again born in pilsley chesterfield died in action 04/04/1918 he served in royal garrison
    Artillery as a gunner he is buried in Adelaide cemetary, unsure what battle he died in

Hello
    Ralph's medal card is on ancestry and will also be on The National Archives site. He has two regiment no's.

Ralph Whalley
    Regiment/Corps = Notts and Derby (Sherwood Foresters) Regiment medal number 70723 , Machine Gun Corps medal number 140623
    He received the Victory and British medals but not the 15 star so probably joined up 1915 or later.
    There is no other info on this card.
    William Burroughs

George Whalleys regiment number 59349, The Victory and British Medals. Again no further information on the medal card.

I can find no surviving service records for either of these two men.

Christina
    William Burroughs

It's almost impossible, in most cases, to find out exactly how and where people died - there was the heat of battle followed by an aid station or a temporary grave, then the CWGC cemetery. A few may be specifically mentioned if there was an unusual event.

Assuming that their medals were sent out, it would normally have been whoever they listed as NoK on their join up papers - often a parent or spouse. If you don't already know, in your position I'd do a bit of genealogy research - track down the family in the 1911 census, for example, find out who the parents & siblings were, etc.

Stanyard4

Thankyou everyone, I will research this a bit further, it's frustrating, I want to tie the links up to the ww1

The CWGC site gives their mother as next of kin.

Son of the late William and Harriett Ann Whalley, of 3, Brunswick St., Pilsley, Chesterfield

Son of Harriet Ann Whalley, of 3, Brunswick St., Pilsley, Chesterfield, Derbyshire.

This is the family in 1901 so lots of siblings and any of them could have inherited the medals. Also family members did and still do sell medals.
    1901 RG13 piece 3244 folio 41 page 34
    Coop Yard, Pilsley Derbyshire
    Willm Whalley 61
    Harriett Whalley 48
    William Whalley 21
    Jno Whalley 18
    Ralph Whalley 15
    Jos Whalley 13
    Lily Whalley 11
    George Whalley 9
    Peter Whalley 8
    Ernest Whalley 6
    Eve Whalley 4

Here is The National Archives research guide on War Diaries
    William Burroughs

Stanyard4

That's interesting, I recall seeing a peter Whalley on a local memorial, I shall chech him out thankyou

Hi
    The only one of the children not still at home in the 1911 census is John. William is a pensioner (coal miner) age 75 and all the boys are coalminers. The two girls are down as servants working at home.

This looks like William's death

Deaths March 1/4 1914
    William Whalley age 77 registration district Chesterfield vol 7b page 940
    William Burroughs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast