Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    paulineeg

Default Royal Fussiliers (City of London) 7th Foot

Thomas Staleton - have been trying to find the records for my great uncle without success. Got his attestation papers, but nothing else. He was a soldier since 1904 and served in WWI but no luck with records. Any ideas please?

Reputation beyond repute

Can you please check your spelling of the man's name?

Welcome to British-Genealogy paulineeg

Along with his surname spelling, which I suspect should be Stapleton (?), could you give us his place and date of birth? Any detail which will help sort him from the pack.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

paulineeg

Hi thanks, yes it is indeed Thomas Stapleton who was born in Homerton, London (Middlesex) in 1892/3. His parents were Elizabeth Stapleton (Nee Wichett) and Thomas Stapleton.
    Pauline

paulineeg

Red face

Thanks, yes the name is Stapleton and he was born in Homerton, London (Middlesex) in 1892/3. Mother was Elizabeth Stapleton (nee Witchett) and Thomas Stapleton.

Pauline

Reputation beyond repute

So what you've actually got is his Militia record showing he attested in 1904 and transferred to the regular army (Royal Fusiliers) on 25 Feb 1905.

You should be able to find a medal index card for him.

Did he remain in the army after the end of the war?

paulineeg

Yes it is his Militia Record but I'm not sure if he was still in the army after the war. It interests me because I remember this great uncle of mine from when I was very small and he built me a dolls house, but of course he was very old and I was only about 3 years old. My grandad did say that Tom was an ambulance driver during WWI and then became a bus driver. Thanks.
    Pauline

Reputation beyond repute

When did he marry? Have children?

Have you looked at the 1911 census? He's in the 3rd battalion Royal Fusiliers in "Mauritius and South Africa".

If he remained in the army after the war, his service record will still be with the Ministry of Defence.

If he married or fathered children soon after the war make sure you have copies of the certificates. Details of his occupation will be useful.

paulineeg

Thanks Peter, I didn't know from the 1911 census that he was in Mauritius and South Africa on my copy only says he is a soldier (private). He didn't marry or have any children but I will try to find the death certificate. Thanks again.

sheenahamblett

I doubt very much that your relative was in the 3rd Battalion Royal Fusiliers if he survived WW1 as this battalion was wiped out completely during the 2nd Battle of Ypres at Frezenburg Ridge. (9th May 1915). This battalion was not reformed out of respect for those who died.
    Last edited by sheenahamblett; 29-08-2014 at 8:23 PM. Reason: info added

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast