Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Reputation beyond repute

battalion was wiped out completely during the 2nd Battle of Ypres
    Have you got a reference for that, please?

paulineeg

Thanks thats interesting. Obviously couldn't have been in the 3rd then. Will have to investigate some more. Thanks again.

Reputation beyond repute

Obviously couldn't have been in the 3rd then
    Don't assume that without confirmation. The 3rd battalion were in the Army of Occupation (1919)!

sheenahamblett

My Great Grandfather was in the 3rd Battalion Royal Fusiliers which were part of the 85th Brigade, 28th Division. The information I found suggested that the 3rd came under heavy bombardment on the 9th May resulting in in the Battalion being wiped out. Further research also suggested that this Battalion was not reformed so it could be that the 85th/28th Divn. were still around in 1919. I did this research almost ten years ago so the origin is forgotten. I will see if I can resurrect it.

sheenahamblett

I have done some digging around and obviously over the years the websites have changed. I cannot find anything even from what I printed off at the time. I guess I am wrong and Peter is right. If the 3rd was wiped out in the 2nd battle of Ypres then it was reformed afterwards.

Reputation beyond repute

Potted history of the 3rd battalion here

Note that all we know at the moment is he was in the 3rd battalion in 1911.

If you look at the Commonwealth War Graves site you can count up the casualties for the Royal Fusiliers for say 9-16 May 1915 and you'll see that it's a lot short of a battalion.

I assume by now Pauline has located his medal index card. She could try following up the medal roll references because sometimes the original roll states the battalion.

3rd battalion war diaries are listed here

Three of them can be downloaded.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12