Thread: Medal no.

Peterjh

Default Medal no.

Is there any way of locating ww1 records by the medal no ?

Do you mean the number engraved on the medal?

A fountain of knowledge

There should also be a name, rank & regiment on medals?
    Unless you mean a silver war badge which only has a badge number.

Peterjh

Hi,

Thanks for the reply,
    Yes I do mean the no.engraved on the medal and yes the name,rank (PTE) which I assume means private? And middx which I assume refers to the Middlesex regiment? The number is G-51580.

If there is way of locating the records to the medal no. Will this be a more accurate way to locate the correct servicemen associated with the medals?

A fountain of knowledge

Middx will mean middlesex and PTE will mean Private, thats correct.

Searching for records (if they still exist) is usually done by surname and regimental number.
    It might prove very difficult searching on number alone, since numbers were not unique in most instances as they were not standardised until 1922.

William Barrett 26th Middlesex regiment number G51580.
    I can see he has a medal index card at the national archives (also on ancestry), this will show which campaign medals for WWI he was entitled to, in this case the victory and BWM.
    It also shows in Williams case he was retired as 'sick' under Kings regulations 392 para 16, (No longer physically fit for service)

There is no surviving service record however, this is certainly not uncommon since up to 70% were lost forever in bombing in 1940.

Peterjh

Many thanks, that's very helpful and I'm grateful for the information you have sourced for my great grandfathers service history, my grandmother remembers that he was gassed and died a few years after WW1.
    I'm very keen to find the archive, not sure how I manage to navigate through the national archives but I will give it ago.

Thanks again.